lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: i think i know but will ask any way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Have and 05 txt. The wife uses it to tool around our 5 acrs. Was thinking about a lift and larger tires for ground clearance. We live on a pretty good hill. With stock tires and wheels, the cart really slows to a crawl coming up the hill.

am i corect it thinking that if i go with a lift and bigger wheels that i will probablly have to go from 36 to 48 volts to pull the hill?

If so will stay away from lift for now.

any ideas for a more aggressive tire for a non lifted cart?

Thanks
How old are your batteries? If your batts are orig, than they are on their last leg. What guage wire are you using? you can run a 20" tire under yuor cart without issues. I do it all the time.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

bought the cart 2nd hand. have no idea how old the batterys are. Do know they are trojan t105 mile makers. wires are stock i assume
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

look on negative post. you should see a letter and number. number is year of batts. ex: b5 is feb of 05.

If they are orig to cart meaning they are 05 batts, than you are more than likely due a set. I would replace batts and upgrade to 4 ga wires. that will get you up those hills. Dont change just the battery wires to 4 ga, change all of them, contoller to motor, solenoid to controller, battery to f-n-r switch, etc.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
roady89
nimda
Club Car

D&D gave a rating on one of their series wound golf cart motors of 4.8 HP @ 36 volts and 6.1 HP @ 48 Volt. If there is an increase in HP there has to be an increase in torque. HP is derived from torque. You can't gain 1 without the other.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
D&D gave a rating on one of their series wound golf cart motors of 4.8 HP @ 36 volts and 6.1 HP @ 48 Volt. If there is an increase in HP there has to be an increase in torque. HP is derived from torque. You can't gain 1 without the other.
Only half correct. HP is the product of RPM and Torque, not just torque.

In a series wound DC motor torque is derived from current, which is limited by the controller. Simply going from 36 to 48 volts will not increase torque without changing out at least the controller. To increase torque in a series wound DC motor you have to supply more current, so if you leave say a stock 200 amp controller in the cart, 200 amps of current is all the controller can supply at locked rotor. No amount of voltage you push is gong to change what the controller can supply. It is very basic Series Wound DC Motor physics.

In a Series wound DC motor torque is directly proportional to current, and RPM is directly proportional to voltage. So if you look at the power curve of any series wound motor max horse power is at half the rated voltage. At full voltage and RPM torque = 0 and HP = 0. Maximum torque in a series wound motor occurs at 0 RPM, and linearly decreases as RPM and voltage go up until it reaches 0 pounds of torque. 0 pounds of Torque x any RPM = 0 HP

See the graph of any series wound motor and it is as plain as day.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
roady89
nimda
Club Car

As with many of your posts it seems you simply want to start an arguement. You didn't prove anything but that. Theres no need to overcomplicate things when it was a simple question. The FACT is when you add voltage you gain power and speed across the board. When you increase HP you also increase torque. No if, ands or buts.

Hows this chart for ya?

When using the conversion chart, place a straight edge along the two known quantities and read the unknown quantity on the third line. As you can PLAINY see when you increase HP torque increases to. Even is you just raise RPM (by adding voltage!) torque increases. (this chart has torque values too...wooo)

This chart is specifically for electric motors, not gasoline.

Is there any reason to continue this conversation? Unless you have some kind of compelling evidence to change the minds of the indusrty and thousands of carters who have made the conversion I see no reason to......especially since you have never done the conversion.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Nice chart. WTF is a Green Maxon Motor, what good is a motor that only makes 600 rpm in a golf cart, and how many carts have you built up? Have you ever dyno'd a golf cart, or do you just use your charts?

Roady, I can't see your chart.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Fixed. Hit F5 gorno.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Nice chart. WTF is a Green Maxon Motor
A permanent magnet motor.....which is useless in a golf cart and is irrelevant to this conversation. A permanent magnet motor has a fixed feild. (feild magnets that do not increase in strength with voltage or amperage.....)

It doesn't matter how you look at it, twist it or what chart you throw at it, when you add more volts you produce more power which is why thousands of people do this conversion. Hills you previously couldn't climb now you can as well as many other things. I can't think of one person who has ever done it and wasn't happy with the increase in power. Theres no reason to overcomplicate things.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

My slot cars had permanent magnet motors! LMAO!

How does that turd taste, sunking?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO