lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wink speeding up ez-go marathon

Hi, i am new to this thread and am wondering how to speed up/get more torque for my electric 1988 ez-go marathon. If I have to spend some money that is fine but try to keep it under control any suggestions are appreciated and btw it has a 4 inch lift with 22 inch tires.
1988ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: speeding up ez-go marathon

Welcome ..New wires..4gag helped on my 88 resistor cart. Change all the wires, not just the battery ones. I have 5 inch lift and 22 tires also. You should be more worried about stopping than going faster New batteries are a given. More expensive options come in to play if you have controller cart, but resistor carts I find less tech problems

aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I just recently put new batteries in it and for now its stops fine But how much of an increase do you think you'll see with 4 gauge wires? Also you cant put some kind of a different resistor on there? sorry if this sounds stupid but thanks for the help,

Jack
Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The upgrade from 6 to 4 ga wire gave me more pull, top end was a little better but I think the increase in tire size did more. I made my own wires from 4 ga jumper cable at Lowes. Changing the resistor coil will not help top end speed. At full pedal you are by passing the coils and going straight to the motor. Anything in between just heats up the coil. If you drive slow for a long period to coils glow red hot. I have learned the art of going all full speed ahead and coasting Be careful when changing the cables to the coils, if the insulator board is old and the nuts rusty, you will rip the board. That is what I did and ended up replacing the whole thing. Clean the contacts on the wiper board with a fine sand paper.

good luck
aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

The two ways to get more speed is taller tires or more voltage to the motor. The way to get more torque is more amps to the motor.
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
fastxcr
Not Yet Wild

Not to hi jack but how to you get more amps to a resistor cart? Different controller?
fastxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

my next question ^^^
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastxcr View Post
Not to hi jack but how to you get more amps to a resistor cart? Different controller?
Larger cables, bigger (amp/hr) batteries, new brushes on motor, heavy duty FNR switch, heavy duty solenoids: all can help get more amps to a resistor cart. My thumb rule, any part that gets hot needs to be beefier. Also, your wiper board contacts and FNR switch contacts need to be clean, smooth and securely attached. If this was a cart that you plan to keep for many years, then a conversion to electronic control would be an option, but resistor carts have been around forever, and with proper care, they will have fewer problems due to the simple construction. (IMO)
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988ezgo View Post
Well I just recently put new batteries in it and for now its stops fine But how much of an increase do you think you'll see with 4 gauge wires? Also you cant put some kind of a different resistor on there? sorry if this sounds stupid but thanks for the help,

Jack
Read through the following thread regarding a booster battery upgrade.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...ler-boost.html

I have a 12v booster battery on my resistor cart, the czonka contactor mentioned, and a DPST high current contactor to isolate the 36v stock components and the booster battery.
The booster contactor is actuated by a momentary pushbutton mounted on the steering wheel column.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well I just got new trojan t-105 batteries and have a new solenoid but do you guys have any suggestions for 4 guage wire kits I can purchase? also How much does it cost to get a motor rewound? thanks for all the replies,

Jack
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO