lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
koob
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 Marathon smoked cable

I just bought this used 89 EZ GO Marathon 36 volt cart and after using it for about an hour it started smelling bad like something burning and when I lifted the seat it was mine. The cable to goes to (or from) the resistor box to the motor was so hot the insulation was on fire. The cart would still run but I knew to cut it off quick. All the resistors look fine but the post at the top of that one is burned some and so is the cable end. Any idea what would cause this cable to overheat?
koob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 89 Marathon smoked cable

Bad connection or bad cable. Replace and check all the rest. Use extreme caution when removing the nut from the motor to replace the cable. If you spin the stud you can possibly break the connection inside the motor. Use penetration oil and 2 wrenches. Use 1 wrench to hold the lower nut and the other wrench to remove the upper. If its burnt it can be a pain to remove.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
koob
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I cleaned all the cables that goes to the resistors and tightened all of them and for now it seems to be ok. I drove it around the neighborhood and it didn't get hot or smell or anything. Thanks again.
koob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Loose connections cause heat ...... Excellent post Roady
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO