lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default 83 - 2pg

I have an old 83 model - metal body - belt runs crosswise to frame -
problem is that as soon as the starter engagues it starts moving , this is hard on the starter(s) ( i've put 3 on it ) ,, could this be one of the clutches? if so how to tell which one / I have cranked it with a jack under it the seat off , and both seem to be doing what they are supposed to do . I would hate to just chunk it because it runs so well when it does crank , and it's my grandaughters favorite .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 - 2pg

If, at rest, the drive clutch is fully open and the driven is fully closed and as you say they appear to operate normally then at a guess I think that you have an incorrect drive belt fitted. I would wrap a piece of string around it and then measure the string. Your belt should be 45 inches. You can go down to 44 1/8 inches but any more will give the symptoms you describe. If the belt is the correct length then maybe your drive clutch is stuck somewhere in the middle and is not fully opening. In either case the belt should have some slack.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Goat53
Gone Wild

it has a new drive belt from local dealer by the book also have removed the belt and washed the working sides of both clutches with an alcohol based solvent and rubbed them till they shine ( they were dirty before ) , this problem has been ongoing now for about 3 years .
I stood up on it and took the seat off to look at the clutch while cranking and with the load on the axles the clutch closed up right away as soon as it started turning ,, so i guess I need a new ( different ) drive clutch , ,, suprised I didn't think of testing it this way before .

Last edited by Goat53; 12-18-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: more testing done
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Dealers are not infallible. Did you measure the belt? It should be 45 inches long and 1 3/16ths wide. If it is not the belt than it can only be the drive clutch which at rest must open wide enough not to pinch the belt.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Does the belt have slack?Are the primary/secondary clutches fully open?How are the motor-mount bushings?If the mounts are bad the motor will move when started and pull on the belt.If you have the belt # post it so someone can double-check to make sure its right.Just because the dealer got it doesn't mean they looked it up right.Went thru that this summer,my buddy gave the guy my info(written by me)got the belt,completely wrong,called back gave me correct belt.Everyone makes mistakes,even dealers.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

The # on the belt is 14153-g1 and it measures 45½ inches long around the outside .
and the belt is slack enough to toutch on the middle when not running + move up and down when toutching about 1 inch

Last edited by Goat53; 12-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: belt slack
Old 12-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Looks like we can rule out the belt then. That's a shame as that was going to be the cheap fix. So clearly something is causing the belt to drive the secondary clutch at the very low cranking speeds and that, as you know is not right. When you look at the clutch on the engine is it wide open? By that I mean can you see a gap between the two clutch plates and either side of the belt?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Goat53
Gone Wild

yes the belt goes all the way down to the center shaft , on the jack it don't close up so quicklt but on the ground the clutch closes instantly ???
I think that I'm going to get a different clutch on the engine side
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The clutch-spring may have broken,this would cause rapid engagement.Push in on the clutch(towards engine)If it is very loose and doesn't push back out by itself,the spring is broken or worn out.You could find a used clutch and swap out the spring with your clutch still in the cart as an easy quik fix.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
patmcfann
Getting Wild

Yamaha

try a mom and pop outfit in your area .. i have gotten alot of good parts used from those types of places. sounds like the spring.
patmcfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO