lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
1padre
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 2 stroke battery draw down problem

My generator is producing 18-19 volts while running, but my battery is voltage gos down after the engine is run. Any ideas?
1padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 2 stroke battery draw down problem

Well 18 to 19 volts is way to much you should be seeing ~ 15 - 16 volts. If the voltage is going down when you switch the engine off then that is normal you should see ~13 volts. However 19 volts charging is going to boil that sucker dry so you should address that issue soon.
I would guess that you have a defective wire / connection or a bad regulator. Let's go with the wires first as that might be a zero cost fix. So disconnect the battery and then remove the wires from the regulator one by one and check for corrosion or breakage. It is common for the wire to break right where it is crimped and the rubber boot holds it in place so it looks like it is good. Give it a little pull and see if it falls apart. The green wire is the control line to the generator when testing if this wire is grounded the generator volts will go to maximum so check this most carefully to see if it is shorting to the chassis.
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
1padre
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave. I have replaced the voltage regulator, but not the wiring. As I was inspecting all of it the bulk of the wires were corroded and nasty. I'm going to replace them and I'll let ya know how it turns out.
1padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good Luck, I hope it is nice and simple. Do you need a circuit diagram?
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO