lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
JBAR1
Not Yet Wild

Default 83 gas marathon

Trying to make this cart alittle faster can anyone help i tried to find a shorter belt but no luck and i cant find any clutch part either thanks for any help
JBAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 gas marathon

A shorter belt will not make your cart go faster, in fact the reverse is true. The correct thing to do would be to make sure that your engine is all it should be. Is the compression up around 130 psi? Is the carburetor nice and clean? You got a nice clean spark going on there? If all of that is good then you need to gear it up and the simplest way is to put bigger tires on it. If your cart is lifted then a set of 22 inchers will work or 20 inches will fit a non lifted cart. Of course that is a trade off for torque so although you will have a better speed you will lose hill climbing ability. The bottom line is that you have 9 hp (if your engine in in good shape). So what speed do you have and what are you hoping for?
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
JBAR1
Not Yet Wild

I guess i should have said more power or torque. On my 94 txt iput a shorter belt and a clutch ramp on it, whitch made it alot snapier but this older one i cant seem to find the right parts and it is lifted with 22s on it, the motor is in good shape thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Ah now I understand. You want a Dayco HP 3004. Google it and you can get it from a dozen suppliers. I think that you will find it will do all you want. If you need more then probably a stiffer spring in the driven clutch, but that is a little more complicated than rolling on a new belt.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Hey,with 22" tires,try removing the shim between the driven-sheaves,shim the spring about 3/16"-1/4".Shim your primary(drive)-clutch the same amount.With the govenor gone,I get 23mph.This is with a stock-belt,and it takes off great even with 2-3 adults.Motor is bone stock except for open-element air-filter.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
JBAR1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ill check it out
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i hope to get around 20mph. Ill be mostly using mine in Pismo out in the sand so ill need some speed. I need to adjust my carb and hopefully itll run better because right now im around 10-15mph. Not sure what else to adjust or look at since my compression is perfect and i just rebuilt the top end.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sam, there are a few other things. Is the governor still fitted? Have you barbequed the muffler yet? (a good test for a clogged muffler is to loosen the muffler bolts enough to give you a half inch gap and go for a run). In the air filter I replaced the paper element with a washable foam one which I think helps with breathing, someone less cheap might use a nice K&N. An obvious, but sometimes overlooked, point is to make sure that the throttle butterfly is fully opening. The only adjustment on the carburetor is the low speed mixture adjust it isn't going to make any difference at high speed but you can tweak if if you want. Other than that your carb jets and nozzles need to be scrupulously clean, any dirt at all will cost you mph. I clean mine three times and then bought a new one, a decision that I never regreted. I can't remember what size tires you have but the larger the tire the greater the top speed, although you will trade off torque. That's about all I have for you apart from maybe performing the HEI mod which allegedly gives you a bigger spark. I haven't done this myself but some swear by it. I have gps'd mine at 19 -21 mph and the only non stock parts are the shorter belt and the 22 inch tires. I hope some of these tips help you.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 12-21-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry i jacked this thread a little.

The governor wasnt hooked up since i got it so i never re-attached it. I havent BBQd the muffler yet but the air filter is brand new and the carb jets are crazy clean, or so i think at least. I cleaned them quite a few times. Ill double check the carb butterfly. I have to replace the drive clutch anyway along with changing the belt to the shorter one. I just need to do that and let it roll.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO