lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Plowman's "Hot Setup" questions

Well I've done *just* enough research and soul-seeking to get myself in trouble, as usual ... I think I've decided to go with Plowman's "Hot Setup" on the G16 in lieu of having to screw with a loud K&N cone (HATE that "snotsucker" sound, yeesh) a header (MORE loud, forget it), jetting, an old clutch with a new spring that may or may not be appropriate for my needs, etc ... And that whole 14+ HP thing is a pretty decent incentive in my mind.

Just looking for a little input from people who have installed the whole rig, both positive and negative. I'm running 22's now but will be bumping that to 23's before the year is out I'm sure (gotta find the *right* rims first) - most of my riding is here at an old Ski Resort where I live (mostly groomed grass and dirt trails, some medium grades and the rare 30 degree monsters, most of those are fairly short though) ... Anyone have any opinions or suggestions before I bug Don and start tearing the cart apart?

(Also, I'm prone to running with my foot on the floor, I'm used to my Modified Marathon which tops out at 24mph on the flats so I'm guessing this will be a whole different animal - any speculation as to what I can expect on the GPS after installation?)

20130220_140407.jpg
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Plowman's "Hot Setup" questions

I have put several hot setup's in and they have worked great. Lot better throttle response and power overall. The muffler is just a little louder with a pinging to it.
Here's a thread to one I put in.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...hot-setup.html
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sweet thread - now THAT'S what I call a fun day with the cart(s) !!!

Have You ever done a GPS reading on the top speed? Also, the million dollar question ... IS the difference between the Plowmans setup with my existing engine -VS- the Big Block (which as you know is $1600 more give or take) REALLY that much more worth it? Hills are my biggest issue, even though I beat my carts badly stuff like the water in the photos on your thread, etc are likely not going to be something I would encounter.

Thanks again for any input :)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I never set the cart for top speed. It had some kids riding it after I sold it and we set it to run around 18 mph.

A g22 I did has 20" street tires and cruises quietly at 28-30
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I have Don's Hot Setup on my G16. I also have his re-manufactured 301 engine. Running on stock size tires the last gps was 32.5 mph and Don says will reach 36 mph as the engine gets broken in. I love the performance.

G16 spider 1.jpg

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice, we spent ALL DAY on the cart yesterday, messed w the governor, etc - I can't believe how good this cart is in the snow compared to my EZGO's, we were just pulling right through everything, and we have about 6" of fresh on top of a really solid snowpack ... Managed to get her up to 21mph in the snow with 2 people - only really got stuck maybe 3 or 4 times all day, and those were pretty much 99% operator error and bad judgement, LOL.

I'm going to give Don a ring tomorrow, definitely going to go with the Hot Setup at a minimum, I'm going to see what he says about the drive clutch too, might as well get it all done at once. I'm a little concerned that I couldn't hardly get it over 41000rpm even with the governor cranked down, but I'm assuming once I get a chance to actually bypass it and get the cabing/pedal all set up correctly that problem will go away :)

Thanks again for the pointers, hopefully I'll have the project all buttoned up in time for some REAL riding weather !!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
I have Don's Hot Setup on my G16. I also have his re-manufactured 301 engine. Running on stock size tires the last gps was 32.5 mph and Don says will reach 36 mph as the engine gets broken in. I love the performance.

Attachment 80500
I never knew this Ron. You keep'n secrets from me????

DANG!!!!!!!! That's crazy with stock tires!!!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, a small hiccup in the plan today, I talked to Don who was an amazing source of insight and information and on his advice decided to take a good look at the Primary clutch, which is definitely in need of a rebuild (all 3 rollers have flats, 2 pretty bad and one REALLY bad) - So now I'm stuck waiting for a clutch puller so I can send in my primary with the parts for the Hot Setup, grrrrr ...

On the upside though, at least it'll all be done RIGHT, and the wait will give me time to do an oil change, install the tach, check the valves, fuel filter, plug, etc. Of course we're supposed to get dumped w snow tomorrow too (never fails, as soon as I get some new toys it starts snowing like crazy after like maybe 6" the entire rest of the winter) - maybe I can take a little time to shop for flares, rims, etc, LOL
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
I never knew this Ron. You keep'n secrets from me????

DANG!!!!!!!! That's crazy with stock tires!!!
No secrets, Plowman's stuff really works!

Check out this thread >>http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-plowmans.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
No secrets, Plowman's stuff really works!

Check out this thread >>http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-plowmans.html
Me likey a lot!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha