lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Sasser
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Cable Replacement Question

When you replace battery cables, is it necessary to replace the negative cable that runs from the OBC and the positive that comes from the solenoid? I would have done that but there is a feeder coming off neg. cable that is hooking up to the run/tow switch and a feeder coming off of the positive cable as well (forgot where it goes).
Sasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Cable Replacement Question

All current carrying cables should be replaced. This includes the negative and positive you mentioned. The amount of current carried will only be as much as the most limiting cable will allow. In other words, if you leave those cable as is, it will be no advantage to change the others.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Sasser
Not Yet Wild

I figured that. I guess I can just double those up and leave as is?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

What is your concern with changing them out? Is it the additional wires feeding off of them or going through the OBC?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Sasser
Not Yet Wild

It looked like to me the feeder that goes to the run/tow is part of the original cable and comes from the neg cable at the ring that hooks to the controller. The cable I purchased does not have that extension which makes me wonder if have to connect it in somehow? I will look again to be sure but it wasnt just a plain cable or I would have replaced. You can see the wiring diagram on the IQ cart and it shows the feeder. I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just dont know.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasser View Post
It looked like to me the feeder that goes to the run/tow is part of the original cable and comes from the neg cable at the ring that hooks to the controller. The cable I purchased does not have that extension which makes me wonder if have to connect it in somehow? I will look again to be sure but it wasnt just a plain cable or I would have replaced. You can see the wiring diagram on the IQ cart and it shows the feeder. I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just dont know.
You can use the same wires (10 ga I think) that were being used before on the old cables. Two ways to take care of this... If the terminal ends are not already attached to the cables, you can strip a section of the smaller wire and crimp or solder in the terminal end with the cable. I assume they are already made up by your previous posts. If this is the case, cut the smaller wires as close to the terminal end as possible. Then strip the wire and crimp a terminal ring end on it. This can then be installed on the terminals with the corresponding cable. Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

You do not need to do anything ( or upgrade) with the wires going to the tow/run rocker switch on an IQ cart.

Or were you asking about fixing them like one is broken?
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Sasser
Not Yet Wild

It is attached to the negative cable that I want to upgrade to 2ga.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
You do not need to do anything ( or upgrade) with the wires going to the tow/run rocker switch on an IQ cart.

Or were you asking about fixing them like one is broken?
He is not talking about upgrading them. He is wanting to know how to reconnect them to their current location when he upgrades the cable since the wires are currently part of the old cables
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

I cut mine close to the crimp. Still had to buy some 10g wire to lengthen. Used butt connector then attached terminal connector to end and combined with negative coming from obc.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car