lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

Default bearing noise in rear of 95 ds electric when coasting how to diagnose and fix?

Hello everyone my Club Car is at my trailer in northern quebec and I would like to diagnose this and repair it if possible without having to borrow a trailer to bring a home to my house to work on. Do you think I can pull the axle shaft on the noisy side and diagnose it without damaging anything?? I need to still be able to use the golf cart to drive to my boat dock as it is pretty far to walk especially with a cooler and they don't allow parking of cars there. I have a new bearing here already and a piece 1" schedule 40 pipe to install it with, but nothing else. Is it a good idea to pull the axle shaft and have a look and possibly change the bearing if that is all it is or am I going to leave myself with a non functioning golf cart if I pull it apart and it falls to pieces inside? thanks!
Ottawaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: bearing noise in rear of 95 ds electric when coasting how to diagnose and fix?

checked it with a stethescope and it seems to be the bearing noise is coming from the center not the wheel beqrings. is that something a home mechanic can diagnise and repair? thanks
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: bearing noise in rear of 95 ds electric when coasting how to diagnose and fix?

Sine you say "when coasting" I'm going to assume that means you're hearing the sound when you get off of the pedal. I think the first thing I'd try is a spline bumper in the motor coupler between the motor shaft and differential spline. That may take care of your noise.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Most likely its the motor splines in the coupler between the motor and the input shaft to the axle. The motor couplers are known to wear on certain carts and cause lots of fun noises. If they are worn severely it can also wear the input shaft which would not be easily repairable.

Motor repair depends on which motor you have. You either have a solid coupler, or a guide ring coupler with a worn out guide ring. The only way to verify what's on the end of the motor coupler is to remove it and look.
Post pics of what you find, and we can help you decide what to do from there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks guys. do i need any special tools to remove the rear end to diagnose?
Old 05-24-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Generally not. Common hand tools usually get it no problem.
Be sure to disconnect the battery main negative before doing any work around the motor.
Be sure to hold the lower nuts with a wrench when removing the nuts that hold the cables on the motor to avoid twisting the studs. If the studs twist and break inside the motor it may be impossible to fix.
The motor probably weighs about 60lbs so be prepared to either have a helping hand or tie a strap around the motor to help support it after removing it from the axle. On some carts you can lift it out from above through the access cover. On others you just have to lower it down from below the cart without dropping it on yourself.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. Just so I am clear are you suggesting that I can remove the motor without removing the whole rear end? Then I can check what is wrong from there?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes. You can remove the whole rear axle if you like but that's usually more work, and is kind of a pain to maneuver around with the motor on it. If you decide to do that, the best approach is generally to leave the leaf springs bolted to the axle to help with keeping the axle/motor assembly from rolling over.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #9
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

ok will pull the motor and take pics this.weekend. hipefully i will see the problem with motor out
thanks!
Old 06-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

i didn't have help this weekend so was reluctant to try alone since you said 60lbs. to minimize the downtime a and only have to take it out once, can i order the parts first then replace it? do these motor pics show which motor i have to order the parts? i need the cart every weekend now so hoping to avoid downtime. thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220531_122511.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_122455.jpg (195.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car