lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 DS Build (Restore, Lithium, Navitas AC conversion)

Well, here we go. My wife and I have been wanting a golf cart for a while now and last fall pulled the trigger on a 01DS. We decided on a project cart so we (mainly me ) could build it to what we want instead of buying a cart and not having any money left for improvements/upgrades. so here it is.

0911211406_HDR.jpg

Don't let the picture fool you the cart looks to be in good shape, but this truly is a project. The guy I bought it from told me it was a parts cart for his build so I knew things would be missing. right off the bat no batteries or cables, no FR switch, no seat hinges, and brake pedal was laying against the mat, so I knew there were parts missing there. Once I started pulling it apart, I found what was there was in rough shape.

0127221503.jpg
0220221614.jpg

Got the rear all stripped down and ordered parts.
New shackles (one was cracked at the leaf spring bolt and the other three the bolt had worn the holes into ovals due to bad bushings)
All 12 bushings and sleeves with stainless bolts (the bushings were almost completely gone just crumbs left)
new shocks
New dual action leaf springs
SGC 6" Double A-Arm Lift Kit
3 wheel studs
new brake cables
brake pedal return spring, brake block set, Parking brake kit, and brake stop screw

Got it all back together and ready to start on the battery compartment

0220221614a.jpg

I have also ordered the Navitas 600a 5kw DC to AC Conversion Kit
BigBattery 48V HSKY - LiFePO4 - 103Ah - 5.3kWh
BALBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 PM   #2
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 01 DS Build (Restore, Lithium, Navitas AC conversion)

This weekend I started with repairing frame damage and templates for the battery compartment. The cart had been T-boned and was pretty bent up on the passenger side rocker panel. I got it almost to the point you can't even notice it was ever bent. I wish I took before and after pics, I never thought I could get it back as good as it is.

I cut out all the old battery supports to make room for the new floor. The lead acid batteries had taken their toll on the brackets. Two were rotted through and the others were not far behind.

0217221604.jpg

The plan is to put the new battery between the frame rails. I'm not sure how everything else will be laid out but I'm going to try and keep as much space available on either side of the frame rails as possible. I plan to use the upright panels to mount everything and keep the floor clear, but I won't know how all that will play out until I get all the aluminum in. I got all my templates cut and ready to be cut out of aluminum.

0217221548.jpg
0217221548a.jpg
0217221549.jpg

This is where the project is currently. Hopefully this week I will get to my buddies shop to cut, Bend, and weld in the aluminum panels. Then the fun begins.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Looks like a fun project good luck with your build!
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
Nicko773
Not Yet Wild

Looks great.!! I've built many DS carts with a Navitas install. Your build will be interesting putting the lithium in between the frame rails. Definitely keep us posted.
Nicko773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Well, I finally got the Aluminum in. Just a little more trimming to make the body fit on the upright panels by the wheels. I think it turned out well and is more ridged than I thought it would be.
0310221634 (2).jpg

0310221637 (2).jpg

0310221638 (2).jpg

0310221638a (2).jpg

0310221637_HDR (2).jpg
Old 03-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Now the fun begins. I have to figure out layout for ease of wiring and aesthetics. The only components I know of that I am missing are the headlight kit and the heat pads I plan to stick to three sides of the battery.

0310221649b.jpg

Oh yea and these guys showed up this week.

0310221658_HDR.jpg
Old 03-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
coby65
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will be following along!

I have a 99 DS Carryall 1 looking to do some similar upgrades to.
coby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
Warden902
Getting Wild

Nice! I love your choice of tires. If you don't mind me asking, why is one shock turned different than the other?
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden902 View Post
Nice! I love your choice of tires. If you don't mind me asking, why is one shock turned different than the other?
I flipped the passenger side due to it making contact with the motor. With it upside down it does not make contact but I may make a new shock plate/bracket to move it 1/4” towards the rear and allow me to flip it the correct way.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
Lexworth
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALBZ View Post
I flipped the passenger side due to it making contact with the motor. With it upside down it does not make contact but I may make a new shock plate/bracket to move it 1/4” towards the rear and allow me to flip it the correct way.
Ah, thank you! I'm in the early stages of planning/thinking about AC conversion and this is one thing I was worried about. I have a 2005 DS and it didn't look like I would have the room for the 11.5 inch AC motor.

How would you make a new bracket? Machine and weld? I have no experience with machining and welding.
Lexworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car