lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 96 EZGO DCS precharge resistor assembly

I can't seem to find the precharge resistor assembly (circuit board with resistor and 2 diodes) for my solenoid on my 96 DCS. Can I just replace this assembly with the more typical resistor on the big lugs and the diode on the small lugs that you find on most ezgo carts?
muckinfonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 EZGO DCS precharge resistor assembly

Put a diode and resistor between the big lugs and just a diode between the small lugs.

The diode between the big lugs should be 6A 600V and the banded end should face the battery side large lug.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
MacGyverr
Getting Wild

Johnnies B, I've worked on a few carts that don't have a diode or resister. for example, a 2008 txt pds. How do you know if they are missing or required? I'm new to the repair of carts and haven't been able to figure out if they are required when someone else have worked on them. thank you
MacGyverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverr View Post
Johnnies B, I've worked on a few carts that don't have a diode or resister. for example, a 2008 txt pds. How do you know if they are missing or required? I'm new to the repair of carts and haven't been able to figure out if they are required when someone else have worked on them. thank you
What diodes and resistors are needed depends on the controller the solenoid is connected to. They function as protection devices, so the cart will run without them, but some parts may not last as long.

1. Precharge resistor. This keeps the filter capacitors (a dozen of so 1000µF) inside the controller charged to almost the battery pack voltage so the solenoid contacts don't arc as much as they bounce to a close and last longer. About 250Ω for 36V, about 470Ω for 48V and about 1kΩ for 72V.

Some controllers have alternate paths for pre-charging the filter capacitors through the control wiring, but the smaller wire hardware tend to overheat, so having a resistor between the solenoid's large terminals helps.

The only controller that I know of that doesn't or cannot use a precharge resistor is the Alltrax XCT (sepex) controllers and I'm not sure about XCTs for carts other than EZGO.

2. Swamping Diode. This prevents a huge voltage spike from being generated when the solenoid coil de-energizes and arcing the contacts in the pedal switch or whatever the solenoid coil is connected to. Some sepex controllers have a built in swamping diode, but it doesn't hurt to have a one across the solenoid coil.

3. Regen diode. This is for sepex drives only. If the for some reason solenoid de-energizes during regen braking (a very rare occurrence) the is no amp flow to the battery pack and without any amp the voltage being generated by the motor skyrockets and can severely over-volt the controller and let the magic smoke escape.

FWIW: The DCS resistor/diode kludge was EZGO's first use of a regen diode. They also moved the pedal switch after the solenoid coil to reduce the effect of not having a diode on the coil, but it won't hurt to install one.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
MacGyverr
Getting Wild

Thank you JohnnieB, it sounds like a good idea to install both whether a controller requires one or not.
MacGyverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO