lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G14e F/R switch, can it be bench tested?

Thought I'd better start a new thread on this with a more specific title. Got out this morning and pulled the F/R switch out of the G14e. The upper right hand power cable terminal marked "S" appeared burned, and the nut was seized on the post. Managed to weasel a 10mm open end onto the nut behind the cable, and slowly worked the hold down nut and washer off. Switch is now on the bench, and my question is, can this be bench tested?

It had to come off anyway, because I need to get at the wires going to the controller underneath it. It appears that the brown wire goes nowhere down there, it is just dangling. However, from what I can see, the 4 terminals on the controller are all occupied, including a yellow wire that my schematic doesn't show. I'll figure that out later - right now, I'd like to know if this switch is any good.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I've read quite a bit about these switches in the archives, and get the drift that they ain't the best piece of equipment on the planet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha G14e FR switch (1).jpg (374.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Yamaha G14e FR switch (2).jpg (324.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Yamaha G14e FR switch (3).jpg (352.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by fredstev; 10-23-2016 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Changed word "lower" to "upper"
fredstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G14e F/R switch, can it be bench tested?

Looks pretty melty to me. Is it just me, or some posts look uneven. (that would be a sure sign of failure).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #3
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Looks pretty melty to me. Is it just me, or some posts look uneven. (that would be a sure sign of failure).
Yup, the "S" post is about 3/16" shorter than the other 3. It looks like the previous owner had a problem with it, because that post had 6mm steel nuts on it instead of brass like the other 3 posts. I've taken the switch apart and cleaned everything up. It didn't look bad inside, and the dialectric (I think) grease was still there. The only real damage was to the "S" post threaded end.

Two questions:
1. Is there some type of test I can perform on the two thingies mounted to the F/R switch? They have the P and R wires going to one thingie, and the Y and y/b wires to the other. Pretty sure they activate the backup beeper and tell the controller which direction the switch is in.

2. If I wanted to test the drive motor, can I jumper the cables that go from the switch directly to the motor?

I've found TWO breaks in the Br (brown) wire, one under the cart where it tees into the accelerator switch, and another down by the controller. Fixed the one by the tee, but haven't had the time yet to figure out exactly where it plugs into the controller. I kinda suck at wiring. . . .
Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Today, I pulled the controller out of the G14e, after carefully labeling the wires. Surprise - its a Alltrax AXE controller. The wire connections to it were badly corroded, so it looks like I have a bunch of crimp on ends to replace.

So here's todays question: Is there a simple way to test this controller? I haven't checked with the Alltrax website yet, but will shortly. It sure would be nice if I could eliminate this controller as a problem, but don't want to spend a gob of $$ on this cart unless we know we can get some use out of it.

BTW, I am fairly confident that the F/R switch is ok, I'll need to pick up some 6mm brass nuts somewhere, the previous owner used steel, and that sucked. . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axe controller (1) (Medium).jpg (224.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axe controller (2) (Medium).jpg (249.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You pretty much need a golf cart to test the control. There are a couple of bench tests that are goog if the control fails but, are not entirely conclusive if the controls passes. See Alltrax AXE controller DIODE testing

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...ontrollers.pdf
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You pretty much need a golf cart to test the control. There are a couple of bench tests that are goog if the control fails but, are not entirely conclusive if the controls passes. See Alltrax AXE controller DIODE testing

Thanks for the link and the info, Scotty. Tomorrow's shot, but Saturday I'll get on it.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Alright, I finally had time to test the controller and it passed the diode test with a good borrowed multimeter. I took the time to clean everything up and replace a bunch of crummy cable ends with good soldered on copper fittings.

After reassembling everything, what I get is The solenoid clicks, the controller led gives 5 green blinks (correct, for a yamaha throttle), then a never ending series of single red blinks. The alltrax site says "Throttle Position Sensor Over Range. Check for open wires." Um, okay. What or where would a good place be to start looking? The thing I'm really unsure of is the small wires going to the controller. There are 5 wires going down to the controller, and 4 of them are connected to the push-on connectors. Pink, white, yellow and green. The brown wire is just dangling. This is the way it was when we got this thing.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me on this thing, it's starting to beat me down.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

This morning, I did find the wiring schematic on the alltrax site for the Yamaha G8, G9, G14 and G16 carts. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on later today. Wish me luck.

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha