lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #11
1992G8
Gone Wild

Default Re: G29 Clutch - Plowsman - Comet - Gboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Maybe try explaining this instead of just being a dick will not only held original poster but potentially future people who are looking for similar advise
Maybe try not using profanity towards me. There are children who read this board.
1992G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992G8 View Post
Maybe try not using profanity towards me. There are children who read this board.
Wow.. How about Major Richard? That better? If you want to help with valid information with something to back it up please do but if you continue to answer with random short answers that sound like nothing but attitude you won’t last long here.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
1992G8
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley909 View Post
hey y'all I picked up an 08 G29 lifted it 6 inches and stuck 23s under it, now its time for a clutch the original one is very jerky on take off and slipping a lot.

Now I have been doing some research and I am finding more questions then answer, I have been considering plowmans team clutch or redoing my own with the gboost internals but I know these are a PITA clutch to open, but I am finding a lot of people like the comet clutch.

For the life of me I cannot find a solid answer on which comet to get I believe its the 780 but then I am not sure what to do with the driven clutch if that stays the same or if I should get a different spring and also do I need a different belt for the comet?

Overall which is the better option Comet or Plowmans? I live in a very hilly area, and do some light towing, speed is not a concern.

thank you!
The Comet clutches are very "tunable". Also, they're primarily designed to function where engine speed is ideally maintained at its peak RPM. That's not where your main operating RPM will be if you want to climb hills, and not so worried about top speed. It would probably rev up too quickly for what you want to do, causing you to have to make changes. Add to that, everything has to work together for it to work the way you want (i.e. the engine, drive clutch, belt, driven clutch, rear gear). That means you need someone's expertise on how to set up that clutch for your application and what you want the cart to do.

It's like when you build a torque converter for a drag car. They don't just say, "Here, use this one, it's great". They need lots of information like: engine horsepower, peak engine torque, operating engine RPM, transmission gear ratios, shift points, max Rpm, weight of vehicle, rear gear, tire size, etc...(I'm probably missing a few too).

Unless you talk to someone who knows exactly what you have (engine, drive clutch, belt, driven clutch, spring, tire size, rear gear, how you want it to shift) you may end up very unhappy with the performance of your new comet clutch.

I'm not saying nobody is running a Comet clutch with their stock engine, or that it can't be tuned to work. I'm saying you don't need all that hassle when all you want is a good working clutch. Don Plowman has tested clutches on Yamaha golf cart engines for decades. He knows from years of trial and error, and testing, what works and what doesn't.

Call him and ask. I'll bet anybody dollars to doughnuts he doesn't recommend the Comet Clutch for this application.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

edit...unnecessary

I would first see what parts you need for the stock clutch, or find out if its worn out, etc. You might put rollers in it or something and its fine. Most people do change clutches either when they swap engine or when the cart is ancient and old clutch is not serviceable. Some team clutches had recalls, others here know more about those and what is compatible with them.

Last edited by TheNewGuy; 10-11-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: TNG
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
1992G8
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
. How about Major Richard? That better? .
Yes, it is. I'm sorry my short answers came across as "attitude". I was in a hurry. I don't believe that means members should use profanity towards me. I'm fairly certain it's in the rules somewhere around here. Sorry and thank you.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
Coley909
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post

I would first see what parts you need for the stock clutch, or find out if its worn out, etc. You might put rollers in it or something and its fine. Most people do change clutches either when they swap engine or when the cart is ancient and old clutch is not serviceable. Some team clutches had recalls, others here know more about those and what is compatible with them.
Right that's my confusion with what to do. I could easily order everything from gboost ( tools to disassemble, rollers, springs everything) but after ordering all that I might as well of bought a plowman's setup. Judging by the previous posts it looks like comet is one to avoid. I doubt the cart will ever be something that extreme. Just want smooth starts and to be able to climb a hill without stalling or slipping.

Thank you 1992G8 sounds like plowman's is my best bet cost and performance.
Coley909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #17
1992G8
Gone Wild

Quote:
edit...unnecessary
The OP brought up Plowman's, not me. It's right there in the title of the thread. Is it bad advice to have him call a guy who is widely regarded as an expert to see what he thinks?

Quote:
I would first see what parts you need for the stock clutch, or find out if its worn out, etc. You might put rollers in it or something and its fine.
Excellent advice also. Much more reasonable than jumping right into a Comet clutch with not enough information.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #18
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't say a comet is a clutch to avoid, but they are not the optimal tool for a stock cart/ engine. I think you would be better off with fixing your clutch, or buying a new clutch from don in your case.
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #19
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
...or buying a new clutch from don in your case.
The one at CPP is super!!!

By the way avoid any other, chinese stuff, including GolfCartKing and DIY Golf cart... real craps !

At the same time, check if you need a new belt and possibly your secondary clutch (shoes, spacer, etc...).
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #20
Coley909
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
The one at CPP is super!!!

By the way avoid any other, chinese stuff, including GolfCartKing and DIY Golf cart... real craps !

At the same time, check if you need a new belt and possibly your secondary clutch (shoes, spacer, etc...).
The secondary was replaced right before I bought it, it was worn right through. I replaced the belt after a month of owning it.

I just looked up symptoms of a bad clutch and thought I had one. Jerking taking off, it will literally pull the wheels of the ground sometimes and I have barely any power to climb even the smallest hills without it bogging down.

Also what is with some people running a g22 clutch on a g29?
Coley909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plowmans comet gboost
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha