lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G19 all charger lights flashing - only two batteries low

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Take a pic of the entire battery pack so we can see their direction and cable routing. I would bet the two trouble batteries are supplying your lights. You have lights, right?
I can't see directly where the lights are being supplied. Headlights and taillights do work and appear to be factory, but I never use them. I avoid nighttime use, especially with questionable range.
rivercity1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity1941 View Post
... After charging over night, package was at 48.0V, with four good at just over 8V and two end, weaker ones at just under 8V...
Herein lies THE problem as 48 volts is less than 50 % SOC or NEAR DEAD... Four batteries at just over 8 volts is 50 % SOC or NEAR DEAD any anything under 8 volts is DEAD... If this is what you got after charging your batteries are done for... END OF STORY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC%20new.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

Not what I wanted to hear, but it makes sense. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

Before replacing the batteries, is there any way to verify no other major problems with electrical system? I assume low water levels killed them, but if other problems exist, I would like to make sure so the new ones don't meet the same fate.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Take a pic of the entire battery pack so we can see their direction and cable routing. I would bet the two trouble batteries are supplying your lights. You have lights, right?
So two batteries are toast and probably the other four as well.

Before I replace them all, I am concerned the previous owner may have screwed up the wiring. Per the sticker showing the battery wiring diagram (see pic), the lead from the charging receptacle in front goes to the far left negative battery terminal. After the chain across the batteries, the final positive terminal goes to the relay on the front of the far right of the battery compartment. All appears OK there.

But looking at the pics, there are two heavy cables going to a box with a clear cover located further back from the batteries. One cable goes from the same negative terminal that goes to the charging receptacle, but the other goes from the positive of the second battery back to the box with the clear cover (see red cable with black electrical tape). So the two wires to that box are powered by or are monitoring across only two batteries. Is that wired right???

These are heavy cables connecting to the two bad batteries. To an untrained eye, it makes me wonder if that second cable with tape should be on the positive of battery six. It even looks long enough. What does that clear box do? I removed the terminals at either end of the six pack to clean them. Key off, tow mode. When I started to put the (non black taped) cable from the clear box on the first negative, it sparked. Is that normal with everything off? Just curious if something else is running the two batteries down or even if the cart has been running off of only those two batteries. Conspiracy theory or something worth checking out?

Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have no idea what this "clear box" is, but it isn't factory, and may be related to your problems.. what happens if you disconnect that extra wiring? Does it still run?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity1941 View Post
Cables off first two driver side go to box in back with a clear cover (fuzzy pic). I also included where each end of the runs go.
The cables coming off of the first two batteries on the drivers side (I call them Battery #5 and Battery #6 in the attached diagram) make a 16 volt (nominal) circuit which you say feed into a " box with a clear cover". This box is likely a fuse box or some sort of power distribution box which feeds your low voltage accessory circuits (lights, horn, back up alarm, etc).

As "cgtech" suggests, you should be able to disconnect the two heavy cables from Battery 5 and 6 which feed this "mystery box" to see if the cart performance changes ... but I am doubtful that you will see any change if this is a fuse box.

Given your current problems and the previous owners lack of battery maintenance, it sounds like the batteries are due for replacement. As you have likely read on this forum, it is darn near impossible to resurrect heavily sulphated batteries.

If you decide to replace the batteries, it is recommended that you remove the "16 volt tap" (two extra red cables feeding the "mystery box") and wire in a 48 volt to 12 volt converter to feed your low voltage requirements.

For further confirmation of this carts wiring, can you post a complete wiring diagram for this cart (if you have one)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC1941 Battery Pack.JPG (69.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

cgtech and ThreeCW, thanks for the advice.

Weather and sunlight finally cooperated, and I removed the rogue cables in question from 5 and 6 per ThreeCW's diagram. Headlight/taillights quit working, but cart ran fine (for a short distance) and charged OK. Then tonight I got the best blind picture I could. Looks like it is a voltage reducer 24/36/48V to 12V/25Amp that was connected across only 16V (two 8V batteries).

Question: how can I safely test the reducer and if OK, should I connect it across the whole 48V battery pack in the future? Like I mentioned, the cables were long enough to go side to side.

My thoughts are that in addition to letting the batteries go dry, my neighbor accidentally switched the reducer from six to two batteries. Would running the reducer over the two batteries ruin those batteries? They are the two with the very low voltage. Rest are still over 8.3V a day after charging with two around 4-4.5V.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #19
rivercity1941
Not Yet Wild

Voltage converter.jpg
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That reducer should be hooked across the entire pack. That's what ruined those 2 batteries. And mixing 2 new batteries with 4 old isn't advisable.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, g19, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha