lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
mitchntx
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery health - sanity check

New to me 2008 Precedent

Trojan T875

Date code -
1 B5 and the rest are L4 (of those I can read) ... if I read right, that means they are late 2014 and early 2015 DOM

All batteries read 8.2V to 8.4V DC individually and as a pack, read 49.6 ... 70-80% charged, but the LED meter on the dash claims fully charged.

I just replaced all the cables on the pack. I used off the shelf battery leads from an auto parts store. Have a combination of 2 and 4 AWG.

The positive lead of the cart needs to be replaced. It looks suspect to me.

But overall, based upon the charts I read in the sticky, battery health seems to be acceptable.

I currently have it on a charger, charging at about 5 amps. I figured I'd let it charge for about an hour and see if it changes.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery health - sanity check

Your auto parts store cables will be a problem. They are the wrong type of terminal ends for golf cart batteries. Poor connections not only hurt your performance, but can generate enough heat to melt the terminals on the batteries. A set of stock type cable (6 gauge) can probably be bought for less than you paid for those automotive style cables & be fine for a stock drive system. That they are so close in voltage is a good start, but charge them fully and see where you end up. You mentioned “5 amps”- is that because it’s only a 5 amp charger or that’s all they are drawing on a 15 or 17 amp golf cart charger? Should draw more than that initially.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
mitchntx
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery health - sanity check

I understand about the auto cables. I wanted to get something in place to be able to assess the health of the batteries and the rest of the cart.

The charger started off at 12A and quickly dropped to 5A.

After about an hour's charge, the pack was 51.2VDC and the individual batteries hovered between 8.9 to 9.1 VDC.

GPS indicated speed was 17mph on level ground.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car