lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: leaving charger connected?

Batteries left idle WILL LOOSE 4% of their charge each week. Which means that in as little as 3-4 weeks they need recharging just from sitting idle .......
If you are a part time cart user re read what I just posted above. Cold weather will slow the process slightly and hot weather will speed it up (snowbirds).
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you like to leave it plugged in thats up to you.I have had several cars that were plugged in when a lightning storm came through.The chargers got hit and the OBC on a club car does not like lightning.The receptacles can also fry.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
If you like to leave it plugged in thats up to you.I have had several cars that were plugged in when a lightning storm came through.The chargers got hit and the OBC on a club car does not like lightning.The receptacles can also fry.

Diddo on this .... I had a customer last winter who had this happen and we had to replace the batteries, the OBC, and the charger.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I remember you talking about that incident,What a mess.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Needless to say they do not leave the cart charger plugged in any more
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Florida is the lightning capital of the world, I would never think of leaving a cart plugged in for extended periods of time........
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Batteries left idle WILL LOOSE 4% of their charge each week. Which means that in as little as 3-4 weeks they need recharging just from sitting idle .......
If you are a part time cart user re read what I just posted above. Cold weather will slow the process slightly and hot weather will speed it up (snowbirds).
I want to trickle charge my 36v, T105 battery pack over the winter when not in use. What output current would be required of the trickle charger to keep the pack fully charged?
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I remember reading a post where one of the guys bought a mechanical timer for the outlet, and he would have it set to be on for 23 hrs and off for 1 hour. It would allow the charger to go back into automatic mode and keep the batteries charged over the winter. You could also use a surge suppessor power strip or UPS and not have to worry too much about lightning, although there is no guarantee when it comes to a direct hit. That is probably the simplest way of maintaining batteries without much hassle.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
I remember reading a post where one of the guys bought a mechanical timer for the outlet, and he would have it set to be on for 23 hrs and off for 1 hour. It would allow the charger to go back into automatic mode and keep the batteries charged over the winter. You could also use a surge suppessor power strip or UPS and not have to worry too much about lightning, although there is no guarantee when it comes to a direct hit. That is probably the simplest way of maintaining batteries without much hassle.
Thank you for the response.
I recently purchased a 36v trickle charger for an electric scooter to use as a maintenance charger for the 36v pack in my EZGO. I wondered if the 1.5A output would be adequate or too much to equalize the 4% that batteries will lose weekly when not in use. By my expert calculations the trickle charger needs to output 0.32Ah so I will need to use the timer as you suggested, to limit the charge time.
My charger is 22 years old and I don't want to strain it unnecessarily just topping off the batteries.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO