lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Strange behavior after Alltrax install (jerky throttle and motor cutoff)

My Level 5 upgrade kit with Alltrax XCT500 and FSIP Torque motor from Revolution Golf Cars has been mostly great. But recently, I have noticed the cart (2010 Precedent) does some strange things. My hardware is in my signature below.

Issue #1: In reverse, on a flat road, if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, above a certain speed the cart starts to herk and jerk something awful. It does not do this in forward.

Issue #2: If I bring the cart to rest up against a curb, and then try to climb that curb slowly, the cart makes like it's going to start the climb, then the motor starts to make a bit of a whine noise before it jolts hard and stops.

I do not see any error flags using Alltrax toolkit. I am using the Standard Curve in the Throttle Setting tab. This issue is the same in both FN-KEY user profiles I have set up. I'm posting my profiles below. My batteries are healthy, fully charged, and the pack voltage is good.

Anyone know what this could be? I have an idea but don't want to throw it out yet and send us on a rabbit trail. It's the weekend, so I won't bother David or Alltrax until Monday. I'd appreciate your help.

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Strange behavior after Alltrax install (jerky throttle and motor cutoff)

Issue #2 You are stalling the motor. You are exceeding max current and it finally shuts off preventing damage. If you want you can monitor your current while trying to climb that curb and verify that it is exceeding 500a.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Re: Strange behavior after Alltrax install (jerky throttle and motor cutoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Issue #2 You are stalling the motor. You are exceeding max current and it finally shuts off preventing damage. If you want you can monitor your current while trying to climb that curb and verify that it is exceeding 500a.
Thanks. I will take a closer look using the Alltrax software. So can you just not climb things slowly in a golf cart like a crawler? Seems like if I punched it, it'd clear the curb no problem. But it'd be quite a jolt up the curb.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

In addition to stalling the motor you may be putting a big burn mark on the armature which may be causing your reverse problem.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
In addition to stalling the motor you may be putting a big burn mark on the armature which may be causing your reverse problem.
Can you unpack this statement?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most of your issues are related to the throttle rate, if You lower it to around 20% it will get rid of the "jerky" throttle.

Only high current stalls cause damage, that is not your scenario so Your motor is fine.

I can easily stop half way a steep ramp and slowly move forward using just the throttle, You just need to get the curves set properly for your specific cart components (tire, motor, weight, etc).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Most of your issues are related to the throttle rate, if You lower it to around 20% it will get rid of the "jerky" throttle.
Jerky throttle is not my problem. I will try to describe Issue #1 again. In reverse, if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, the cart accelerates smoothly as you would expect it to (and in User 1 mode I'm at a gentle 25% throttle rate), but then above a certain speed the cart starts to herk and jerk something awful. Almost like it's bucking back and forth. It does not exhibit this behavior in forward.

Quote:
Only high current stalls cause damage, that is not your scenario so Your motor is fine.
That's good to hear.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I understand the issue and I was able to reproduce the symptoms on my own cart back when I was adjusting my different curves.

The throttle rate works both ways and depending where you are on the speed curve it will dictate how noticeable is the interaction.

Your user1 mode with 1,350 rpm limit for reverse will likely be hard to regulate at full throttle.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I understand the issue and I was able to reproduce the symptoms on my own cart back when I was adjusting my different curves.

The throttle rate works both ways and depending where you are on the speed curve it will dictate how noticeable is the interaction.

Your user1 mode with 1,350 rpm limit for reverse will likely be hard to regulate at full throttle.
Ok, so simply adjusting TR from 25% to 20% will resolve Issue #1 completely? I would defined "resolved" as the ability to drive in reverse smoothly at all speeds.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The tools at your disposal to fine tune your specific set of components are:
Throttle linearization.
Speed Curve.
Torque Curve.
Controller Settings: Throttle Rate, Max Rpm, turbo, turf and street.

All of those settings interact to deliver the final blend of performance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car