lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Heavy Duty Lift Blocks & Dual Action Springs

I will be installing a AS 6" A-Arm lift on my CCP this coming Friday. Looking over the instructions and pictures of other carts, I noticed something im not a fan of. The lift block in the rear doesn't extend all the way down to the original spring perch. Im sure its ok on a cart but for a vehicle your asking for big trouble with something like that. Being that it doesn't extend down to the original spring perch the axle could possibly rotate. Does anybody make a heavy duty(thicker material) lift block that goes go all the way down to the original spring perch? I see the MadJax blocks do exactly what I want but before ordering a set of there rear blocks I wanted to see if someone makes a stronger block. It may be complete over kill but its something I don't like and want to fix.

Here is a picture of a All Sports Block installed.

Heres is a picture of a MadJaxs Block installed.

Also, does the Dual Action Leaf Springs lift the rear of the cart any?

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 605dfee580944d19590c97472aa0c489.jpg (117.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Block.png (336.7 KB, 0 views)
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Heavy Duty Lift Blocks & Dual Action Springs

I recently installed a 6" Steeling kit on one of my Precedents and the Lift Blocks also extend down to the Spring Perch. Not sure how this impacts the integrity of the assembly. Your kit has two U-Bolts each side which may help, my kit has one per side.

Hope you are aware that you may need to buy a longer Brake Cable for the Driver's side as OEM cable may not be long enough. The other alternative is to swap the left and right Brake Clusters and install upside down. It looks like this was done in your photo of the All Sports kit - note how the Brake Lever is above the Axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201201_030834288.jpg (118.5 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've replaced a bunch of those "short" blocks over the years with full size blocks. Almost every time the cart has come in with the complaint that the brakes lock up with even moderate application of the pedal. Put the cart on the lift, spool it up to speed, hit the brakes and watch the whole axle rotate causing the cables to pull harder and lock the brakes..... you want blocks that go all the way down to the perch.....

As for the dual stage springs, I can't say for sure they add lift, but they do prevent sag......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns18 View Post
I recently installed a 6" Steeling kit on one of my Precedents and the Lift Blocks also extend down to the Spring Perch. Not sure how this impacts the integrity of the assembly. Your kit has two U-Bolts each side which may help, my kit has one per side.

Hope you are aware that you may need to buy a longer Brake Cable for the Driver's side as OEM cable may not be long enough. The other alternative is to swap the left and right Brake Clusters and install upside down. It looks like this was done in your photo of the All Sports kit - note how the Brake Lever is above the Axle.
The plans are to swap the brake assemblies from side to side.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Thinking overkill, I also installed those plates. The perch is on the bottom being held in place by the big plate. Hard to imagine that turning.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I've replaced a bunch of those "short" blocks over the years with full size blocks. Almost every time the cart has come in with the complaint that the brakes lock up with even moderate application of the pedal. Put the cart on the lift, spool it up to speed, hit the brakes and watch the whole axle rotate causing the cables to pull harder and lock the brakes..... you want blocks that go all the way down to the perch.....

As for the dual stage springs, I can't say for sure they add lift, but they do prevent sag......
rabbitreborn,
You have described my "brake lock" issue to a "T"

I looked & measured (2x) and couldn't figure out "why?", until reading your Post and entering the axel rotation into the equation.

Would you suggest a source for the "long blocks"?

The '10 CC/P has a 6" AllSports Lift w/ the 4 U-Bolts, I want to keep the 4 U-Bolt configuration and replace the U-Bolts while "we're in there".

Thanks,
Ed
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
You have described my "brake lock" issue to a "T"

I looked & measured (2x) and couldn't figure out "why?", until reading this and entering the axel rotation into the equation.

Would you suggest a source for the "long blocks"?

The '10 CC/P has a 6" AllSports Lift w/ the 4 U-Bolts, I want to keep the 4 U-Bolt configuration and replace the U-Bolts while "we're in there".

Thanks,
Ed
Let me know if you find the full length blocks by themselves because i havnt been able to find them. I too also want to keep the 2 U-Bolts configuration.

There is something you can do to find the brakes locking up, actually two different things. One is free but requires more labor, the other is $50ish. Neither will fix the issue of the axle rotating but even with the longer blocks you will still get some rotating from the actual leaf springs twisting. The only thing you can do to stop that is add traction bars or convert it to a 4 link suspension.

To fix the brakes from locking up you can either swap the right brakes to the left and the left to the right which puts the brake lever of the drums at the top, making it so the brake line isnt under a bind. The other option is install a longer drivers side brake cable. You can get them from David @ Revolution Golf Carts

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-precedent

Wayne
Old 12-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
Let me know if you find the full length blocks by themselves because i havnt been able to find them. I too also want to keep the 2 U-Bolts configuration.

There is something you can do to find the brakes locking up, actually two different things. One is free but requires more labor, the other is $50ish. Neither will fix the issue of the axle rotating but even with the longer blocks you will still get some rotating from the actual leaf springs twisting. The only thing you can do to stop that is add traction bars or convert it to a 4 link suspension.

To fix the brakes from locking up you can either swap the right brakes to the left and the left to the right which puts the brake lever of the drums at the top, making it so the brake line isnt under a bind. The other option is install a longer drivers side brake cable. You can get them from David @ Revolution Golf Carts

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-precedent

Wayne
I will look for the Longer Blocks and make a couple of phone calls.

One trick that I learned on here, is to unfasten the Hanger on the Driver's Side Brake Cable, it did help a little.

I have spoken w/ David, one of the questions on my "list" was the length of the Longer Driver's Brake Cable which is 1" longer at (iIrc?) 38"
I really appreciate David's time, patience, & expertise, I will always shop Revolution Golf Cars

I looked at both Cables, and even though the Passenger Side, Outer Cable Sheath is more relaxed, the Inner Cable(s) "tension / play" feels about the same, the Brakes seem to be properly adjusted.
Wayne,
thanks for bringing up this design deficiency Looking at it from a different "angle", I now see the evidence of rotational stress.
Changing to the "Longer Blocks" might not be the "end-all fix" but in the absence of adding traction bars or converting to a 4 link suspension, it appears to me, that the Longer Blocks will add stability to the Rear End of a Lifted Cart.

The Full Length Lifting Blocks of the MadJax Kit

combined with,

The Double U-Bolts (2 on each side) of the AllSports Kit

The basic designs of these Carts aren't really conducive to the speeds / dynamics that we are exposing them to, these little engineering insights we get from the Forums are invaluable

Thanks,
Ed
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
I will look for the Longer Blocks and make a couple of phone calls.

One trick that I learned on here, is to unfasten the Hanger on the Driver's Side Brake Cable, it did help a little.

I have spoken w/ David, one of the questions on my "list" was the length of the Longer Driver's Brake Cable which is 1" longer at (iIrc?) 38"
I really appreciate David's time, patience, & expertise, I will always shop Revolution Golf Cars

I looked at both Cables, and even though the Passenger Side, Outer Cable Sheath is more relaxed, the Inner Cable(s) "tension / play" feels about the same, the Brakes seem to be properly adjusted.
Wayne,
thanks for bringing up this design deficiency Looking at it from a different "angle", I now see the evidence of rotational stress.
Changing to the "Longer Blocks" might not be the "end-all fix" but in the absence of adding traction bars or converting to a 4 link suspension, it appears to me, that the Longer Blocks will add stability to the Rear End of a Lifted Cart.

The Full Length Lifting Blocks of the MadJax Kit

combined with,

The Double U-Bolts (2 on each side) of the AllSports Kit

The basic designs of these Carts aren't really conducive to the speeds / dynamics that we are exposing them to, these little engineering insights we get from the Forums are invaluable

Thanks,
Ed

Ive been modifying vehicles and just about everything else ive put my hands on for 20 plus years. Each new hobby i get into i tend to find at least one thing i can transfer over to the new hobby. The short block with the All Sports kit, to me is a design flaw, regardless if it works, i dont like it. I have seen many of these flip kit brackets on vehicles break which leads to people destroying there driveshafts. Granted 4hp vs 500hp+ is a huge difference but something im going to change.

Wayne
Old 12-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

RedHawk used to sell the rear lift kit only but they discontinued it. I probably have a few sets of the rear for Precedents. PM me if you are in need and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car