lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Strange symptoms, cart dying with new batteries

Been away from this forum for 4 years. Here goes. I replaced My 5 year old Crown batteries two months ago with the same deep cycles. At first everything was good for weeks. I installed correctly and made sure connections were tight and clean. Over the past three weeks I have noticed that when I plug in my charger into the three-prong port, it doesn’t always begin to charge. After a few out and ins, it will be fine to charge. This is a new charging symptom since the new batteries. Today my cart died after about 3 miles. Beep beep beep, power down. This was after my cart’s charger was at the lowest maintaining voltage overnight. Do you think my batteries are not fully charging? After being on the charger again it will work fine the next day. Help appreciated.
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Strange symptoms, cart dying with new batteries

Do you have a volt meter? Could be a corrosion issue, a poor connection somewhere. Need to see what the voltage is after it's run the charge cycle and settled for 12 or so hours.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Which charger do you have? Brand and Model number? How long have you had it?
Having to wiggle or unplug the charger cord to make it work is almost always an indicator of a damaged connection either in the plug, or more likely in the charge receptacle. The charge receptacle is a wear item. The sockets get dirty, wires corrode, or get frayed from vibration over the years.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Super late response. Charger is a Powerdrive. Seems to be charging as it should. Hitting the batteries hard and then trickling down as it gets close to a full charge. Max I am getting out of new batteries is about 5-6 miles. After a full charge today , one mile each way, sitting for two hours in between, I am getting this measure as the same on all batteries tested individually but still connected without a charger connected. Batteries are new. No issues with installation. Just dying mid drive. Connections seem good. I checked all for tightness. Always gets home, charges, and ends with the same results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E4B22DC-BDA8-4C0C-99DE-604B5882FE80.jpg (186.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg B7C2A863-425A-4508-8CCA-79E84B47FB29.jpg (243.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Super late response. Charger is a Powerdrive. Seems to be charging as it should. Hitting the batteries hard and then trickling down as it gets close to a full charge. Max I am getting out of new batteries is about 5-6 miles. After a full charge today , one mile each way, sitting for two hours in between, I am getting this measure as the same on all batteries tested individually but still connected without a charger connected. Batteries are new. No issues with installation. Just dying mid drive. Connections seem good. I checked all for tightness. Always gets home, charges, and ends with the same results.
Your charger is cutting out too soon. You are only showing 42 volts.

The OBC may be shutting it off before full cycle. How long does the charger run at max amps and then slowly trickle down? Charge it first thing in the morning and check the charge voltage every 15 minutes or so.

I suspect the OBC is the problem. Try doing an OBC reset.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=120813
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #6
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://tidewatercarts.com/how-to-re...-cart-obc.html
Like this?
Old 05-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Yes.

Make sure the main negative cable goes through the hole in the OBC. Sometimes in replacing batteries or cables, this gets rerouted improperly. This would give a similar problem to what you have found.

Also, I highly recommend getting a digital dash mounted voltmeter. I have mine wired off the run/ tow switch so it is always on, such as when charging, and also when the key switch is off. It only shuts off when in tow position.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Your charger is cutting out too soon. You are only showing 42 volts.

The OBC may be shutting it off before full cycle. How long does the charger run at max amps and then slowly trickle down? Charge it first thing in the morning and check the charge voltage every 15 minutes or so.

I suspect the OBC is the problem. Try doing an OBC reset.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=120813
It’s a manual ranging meter set to the 50 volt setting. He’s getting 8 volts per battery for 48 volts total. Which agreed is still low. And agree trying the obc reset.

Just put it in tow mode (always put it in tow mode before doing anything under the seat) and then disconnect the negative pack lead for 15 minutes or so. Reconnect the negative lead and try to charge it. Let it go until the charger shuts off.

Watch the battery voltage as it’s charging. It should almost immediately (within a few minutes) jump to low 50’s and top out somewhere around 60 volts. Once the charger finishes and shuts off it will start to drop and settle down. Full charge “should” be 50.9v though some batteries are higher and since your batteries are brand new it will take a few charge/.discharge cycles before they get full capacity.

That said, I’d think you should still be getting a lot more than 5 miles out of a charge even with brand new batteries.

If all that shows well and checks out, you’ll want to measure individual battery voltages as you drive the cart always a chance you got a defective battery and it’s taking the whole system down. You’ll just need to sort out which one.

If you have a battery load tester (old style resistive element type) it may be a little easier. Those aren’t designed for 8v batteries but you can compare the good ones to one that obviously doesn’t behave the same as the rest.

Maybe long winded, but this is where I would start. You may be able to benefit from some quicker readings if you get a digital multimeter. There’s some on Amazon for under 15 bucks that do the job pretty well. I have the one below and use it daily at work. I bought it to try because if I lose or give away a $12 meter, I don’t really care. There’s some guys at work that could use it. But if I lost my $600 fluke I’d be a bit upset. I have compared it to my nice flukes and it is pretty accurate. Just doesn’t have a super fast response time, but again it’s a cheap meter and gets the job done. WeePro Vpro850L Digital Multimeter DC AC Voltmeter, Ohm Volt Amp Test Meter, Electric Tester Ohmmeter with Diode and Continuity Detector, Backlit Display and Insulated Rubber Case Kickstand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHC1NMC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks. After a full 13 hours of charging overnight it’s sitting even lower. I’ll try the OBC reset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47A9A166-F9A2-431F-81B7-D1D3609EE0AF.jpg (153.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the process of resetting. I followed the whole procedure but the reverse buzzer never sounded. The reverse buzzer works under normally circumstances, just not during this reset procedure.

Edit: I bet the buzzer sound doesn’t apply to my cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car