lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Needs More Power

ruredy - I read somewhere else that you said that a backfire could blow out the seals. Please explain. Mine has a backfire problem as well. I thought I fixed that, when I corrected the last owners attempt to repair the throttle cable. It's a lot better now, but still does it sometimes. Could this be related to my power issue? nomo
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
ruredy
Born Wild

2 strokes
on the up stroke they suck the fuel mix from the carb into the crankcase by the vacuum created from movement of the piston, at the same time compressing the fuel mix in the cylinder for firing.

on the the down stroke, the movement of the piston pushes the fuel mix from the crankcase into the cylinder at the same time expelling burnt fuel mix from the cylinder

If the mix in the crankcase is somehow ignited "backfire" the pressure created can tear the seals from around the crankshaft, cylinder base gasket, basically anywhere there's a weaker point that the pressure can escape.

Nomo, i'm not sure about your power issues, could be a bad seal, could be a clogged muffler. 2 strokes need to have everything working in concert to run right. just one small thing wrong and they run like dogs, (basset hound).
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

There is a way to check the seals. You have to blow smoke into the crankcase. I remember reading that this is done through the fuel pump port on the engine block. If I am right, if you have a blown seal, you will see the smoke emerge from the seal that it blown. My 89 used to backfire sometimes, and I had the throttle plate adjusted correctly, so I just made sure that I let of the pedal easy and not abruptly so that she could just wind down. Hope that helps you.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So we have discussed the two problems with my 87 Marathon. They may or may not be related, or one may have caused the other. First, any suggestions on the backfire? Is the throttle plate not closing all the way, allowing it to still suck fuel when coasting? I can be real careful with the gas peddle and keep it from backfiring, but if you lift and coast for some distance, you know what's going to happen next time you press the gas.

Second, is my low end power related to the backfire. Possibly the seals. This is going to require more investigation. The good thing is it starts great, runs good, and goes plenty fast. I just need more torque on the low end.

Thanks for the suggestions and help thus far. Any further ideas are appreciated.

nomo
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I would do this......go ahead and spring for the new belt. You already said the one you have is old and funky looking. A new belt once compared to your old one will surprise you in how much of a difference there is. Also are your clutch faces worn? Look at the faces of the drive clutch sheaves and see if there are dips and valleys worn into the face. If there are then the belt settles into these dips and cant be gripped as tightly. All of this is just a thought since replacing the belt and even a new drive clutch is not as much of a pain in the a$$ as seals and such. Good Luck!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #16
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks sccowboy. I did put a new belt on it just this week. I had the driven clutch completly apart and cleaned it really good. It's in good shape. I didn't notice any dips or valleys in the face. The clutch system works very smooth on the jack stands. I don't think the problem is there.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

how about the faces of the front or drive clutch? they usually wear more than the back or driven clutch.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
djurz31
Not Yet Wild

Ther e is no timing on a two stroke.
djurz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
djurz31
Not Yet Wild

sorry didnt see the second page
djurz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The drive clutch looks pretty good. I do see (feel) a slight shoulder where the belt obviously rides on the high end, but it doesn't look that bad to me. I think my problem is on the low end. It's kind of hard to drive it without the seat, but I think that is what I'm going to have to do. Could the drive clutch just be slipping under high torque? Maybe with any luck I can see it action, or the lack there of! See photo of drive clutch. nomo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02294.jpg (55.4 KB, 7 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO