lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default resistors information

Hey all well i found out what the burning smell was on my 76 er it was just the resistor coil getting hot But here is a question i guess these are supposed to hot correct (the resistors i mean) so how hot are they supposed to get before i need to worry about anything or do I need to worry about anything at all I mean there not red hot or catching on fire Or is this just a normal thing I was just asking i didn't want to burn up anything.I am finding out alot of intrenal things about my cart from this fourm that are helping me out very much.So thanks to all the information everybody has given to me.My 76 er is running now and alot has come from this site so thanks again Ezcome Ezgo.
ezcome ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: resistors information

Yes the resistors get HOT, it's when you go slow, the slower you go the hotter it gets,
Don't go slow, --foot to the floor --or off the pedal, any thing on the coil will make it smell like it's burning--W D-40---dust--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yep, floor it Do you have metal box around yours or is it just bolted to the body of the cart open and exposed ? Mine does and will glow red hot and it is normal for it to do that.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauistardog View Post
yep, floor it Do you have metal box around yours or is it just bolted to the body of the cart open and exposed ? Mine does and will glow red hot and it is normal for it to do that.

joe
Naaa i don't have a metal box around mine it's exposed. Do i need a box arround it??
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Yes the resistors get HOT, it's when you go slow, the slower you go the hotter it gets,
Don't go slow, --foot to the floor --or off the pedal, any thing on the coil will make it smell like it's burning--W D-40---dust--
Hey thanks fo the info.I dont want to sound like and iddiot but even if you go fast will the resistors get hotter or just when i go slow.They are probbly the orginal ones on the cart. sholud i replace them? Or if it ain't broke don't fix it?? thanks again.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
rib33024

BGW...or... anyone on this forum, ... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using, or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome ezgo View Post
Hey thanks fo the info.I dont want to sound like and iddiot but even if you go fast will the resistors get hotter or just when i go slow.They are probbly the orginal ones on the cart. sholud i replace them? Or if it ain't broke don't fix it?? thanks again.

There's no box around mine
Take a good look at the coil (when it is not HOT--NOT-- HOT ), and make sure it's not cracked ---And yes it will get hot with the pedal to the floor, but the less you push the pedal the HOTTER it will get,--foot to the floor or off the pedal
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

The resistor coils are out of the circuit only two times in this system.
1. Zero throttle
2. Wide open throttle.

ANYTHING in between sends current/voltage through the coils = heat. They'll glow near cherry red if extended times running partial throttle.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Resistor controls are cheap and easy, the slowest speed sends voltage through all your speed control resistors and that is when they are the hottest. I have burnt my hand on them, just like an electric stove. Even when you are going full speed, the last resistor will still get warm due to some current flowing. The cool part is that you can really smoke the tires if you have a good set of batteries with a full charge. If you don't have some type of heat shield around the resistors, they may be getting part of the body or seat hot, and that could be your "hot smell". Get a small sheet of stainless steel and bend it to shape a box around you resistor stack. Try to keep at least 3/4-1" space around the resistors, and have an opening on both ends for air flow to help cool them. This should reduce your odor, but checking for plants and mouse nests is a good idea, there shouldn't be anything flamable anywhere near those babies!
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The coils are in close proximity to the batteries so if the coils are not in a box I would put shields at least on the sides to isolate the batteries from the heat of the coils. On my 88 I installed a small 12v fan (scavenged from a broken automobile beverage cooler) on the front of the resistor housing box (the rear of the housing is open) to blow air across the coils to prevent heat from building, but the best way though, is pedal to the metal or coast as the resistors are totally out of the circuit then.
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
The coils are in close proximity to the batteries so if the coils are not in a box I would put shields at least on the sides to isolate the batteries from the heat of the coils. On my 88 I installed a small 12v fan (scavenged from a broken automobile beverage cooler) on the front of the resistor housing box (the rear of the housing is open) to blow air across the coils to prevent heat from building, but the best way though, is pedal to the metal or coast as the resistors are totally out of the circuit then.
Dennis
Hey thanks for that bit of info thats a great idea about the fan.I have access to small fans like that i might try something like that and i'll remember pedal to the metal or off the pedal and coast thanks again Ezcome ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO