lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
freddmc
Gone Wild

Default Questions Re;Installing a radio/deck

I'm installing a radio/cd deck in my gas Yamaha and have some questions regarding the wiring.

It has a red wire which is supposed to connect to the accessory connection. I presume this is on the key. However I want to hook this up so the radio can be turned on whether the cart is running or not. How do I do that?

Second is a yellow connection(which is fused and is the memory) which it says to connect to the battery.

Third is an orange wire which it says is for illumination. What does this illuminate?

Here is my problem.
In my work truck I installed a similar unit and connected the yellow and red to the same hot terminal.The radio works independent of the ignition so it can be on whether the truck is running or not. HOWEVER, this will run the battery down overnight UNLESS I remove the face plate. Just turning the radio off doesn't seem to turn it off. I presume this has something to do with the yellow and red connected together? No big deal and I deal with it but I would like to just be able to turn off the radio in the cart and have it OFF.

Suggestions??

Thanks

Fred

As an aside I was given some 4 inch speakers which didn't sound to good. So I found that if I fasten a plastic yogurt container behind the speaker it improves the sound immensely. They are actually pretty good now. What prompted this was a post a week or so ago where someone mounted a 6 inch speaker in a one gallon paint can.
Fred Mc.
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
jonyb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Questions Re;Installing a radio/deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddmc View Post
I'm installing a radio/cd deck in my gas Yamaha and have some questions regarding the wiring.

It has a red wire which is supposed to connect to the accessory connection. I presume this is on the key. However I want to hook this up so the radio can be turned on whether the cart is running or not. How do I do that? Either tie it directly with the yellow wire, or put a toggle switch on it, tied to teh yellow at the other end. The reason for the switch is because some radio's have a clock that stays illuminated until the key is off. If you press the power button to turn the radio off, and the clock stays on, put a switch on it.

Second is a yellow connection(which is fused and is the memory) which it says to connect to the battery.

Third is an orange wire which it says is for illumination. What does this illuminate? It doesn't illuminate, but when the wire from the vehicle shows voltage, it dims the radio so it's not so bright at night. That wire is not needed.

Here is my problem.
In my work truck I installed a similar unit and connected the yellow and red to the same hot terminal.The radio works independent of the ignition so it can be on whether the truck is running or not. HOWEVER, this will run the battery down overnight UNLESS I remove the face plate. Just turning the radio off doesn't seem to turn it off. I presume this has something to do with the yellow and red connected together? No big deal and I deal with it but I would like to just be able to turn off the radio in the cart and have it OFF.
Explained above^^
Suggestions??

Thanks

Fred

As an aside I was given some 4 inch speakers which didn't sound to good. So I found that if I fasten a plastic yogurt container behind the speaker it improves the sound immensely. They are actually pretty good now. What prompted this was a post a week or so ago where someone mounted a 6 inch speaker in a one gallon paint can.
Fred Mc.
There's a company that makes foam baffles that you can use that are made to seal the speakers off, and that's what you should use if you can find some. They're only a few dollars. They'll make the speakers sound a whole lot better because they're essentially in an enclosure.

Hope that helps.
jonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha