lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
deltaking
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 EZGO -ST project.......

I've browsed all the threads, but can't find a good answer. I'm trying to get this going for my wife, but it will not move. I've got good headlights, tail lights, horn, b/u buzzer, gauge at full charge, and reading 36.5 volts on the meter. One thread mentioned a "click", when the key is turned on....I do NOT hear a click. Another thread mentioned a "run/tow" switch. I can't find one on the cart. I mention this because it died on her, and I had to slowly tow her about a mile. Did I tear up something, by towing the cart???
Please help or she's going to quit cooking for me!!! LOL
Thanks
deltaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 EZGO -ST project.......

Del

First off welcome to the forum, second lets determine your cart first just to make sure the right information can be provided. Is your fnr switch on dash or by your legs?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
deltaking
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome. The FNR switch is by the right leg. Since my first post, I isolated the problem. There's, what looks like, an in-line-fuse(maybe it's called a diode) coming off the back side of the solenoid. Each end is attached to the solenoid terminals. It's nothing more than a naked copper wire with a round black fuse(diode) in the middle. Written on it is, "Dale-CW-5-2500-5%-6.5W-MO927-Mexico"

Anywho, I checked it and there was no continuity, so I put a jumper on it, and the cart worked fine. I operated the cart temporarily, and the jumper got pretty hot. I'm afraid if I replace the fuse(diode), it's going to heat up, and blow, again. Is the heating up normal???

Thanks a million!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Yes the jumper/normal fuse should get warm, go to your local shop and pick up a new one and install it, it helps protect the controller, congrats on getting it running again.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
deltaking
Not Yet Wild

Is it called a fuse or a diode??? Can it be purchased at any parts store or only at a cart shop???
Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

You should have both, a fuse which goes from both of the large terminals, and the diode with the silver band goes on the smaller terminals. Some places may carry it but you know you will get the correct at a shop.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you go to the shop tell them you want the Diode and Resistor for your cart. Also, Just for sake of being positive, look at the controller directly behing the ceramic black resistor and make sure there isn't a hole burnt into the case of the controller.

Also, another good thing to do before going to the shop. Remove the resistor from the solenoid completely, re-bolt everything back together and try to run the cart.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
deltaking
Not Yet Wild

Dadgum, you guys are good !!!....almost like you've been looking over my shoulder, today!!!....no, there's not a hole burned in the side of the controller, so that's a blessing....yes, I did remove the black ceramic resistor, and the cart was a no-go....so then, I put the jumper on it, and the cart ran like a charm....the only problem was, the copper jumper wire was too small, and it got pretty hot, so I put a larger size jumper wire on it, and it barely got warm....I didn't mess with the silver-banded diode, since the cart operated properly.

My wife REALLY needs this cart tommorrow in the garden, so will it be okay for her to use the cart, until I get the replacement resistor installed??? Please say, "YES", or I'll have to haul her butt down there in a wheel barrow!!!

Did I say, you guys are good??? Wife speaking to me, now that the cart is running, and said she'd start cooking for me, again....tonite it's peas, snapbeans, cornbread, fried okra, pork chops, sliced maters, sweet iced tea, and chocolate pie....ya'll come on over!!!

Thanks a million!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you removed the resistor and the cart no longer ran, you're gonna need more than just a new diode and resistor. test the activation circuit of the solenoid to make sure it's getting power as needed before you go for your parts tomorrow. The resistor is there to prevent "surge" on the voltage to the controller, but in reality, the cart should run without the resistor (and without having to jump the solenoid).

Can it be run tomorrow with the solenoid jumped...... yeah it can, but I really wouldn't advise you do so as bypassing the solenoid is the equilivant of leaving your truck running with a 6 year old in the front seat..... not a safe idea......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
deltaking
Not Yet Wild

Okay, looks like I'll have to air up the wheelbarrow tires.

Last question....I gather that you're saying that I may have an internal solenoid problem....if I just go ahead and purchase a new solenoid, do the resistors, diodes, fuses, etc., etc., come with the new solenoid???....about how much moolah am I looking at spending??? I may hafta rent the wife out to mowing some yards.

Thanks!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO