lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
BGONE
Not Yet Wild

Default How does the smaller belt increase HP

Hello All,
I have read the very long post on the smaller belt increasing power. What I don't understand is how it works. I would like to increase my pulling power for haulling out deer and climbing hills in the woods to get to my hunting spots. My belts now do not slip, my cart will just runs out of power on a steep hill. I have a 2001 350st workhorse which I am very happy with. I just wish it had a little more umph, it has a robins motor not sure the horsepower. Any explaination on how this works, or your opinion on wether this would help me or not I would appreciate. Thanks

I'm going out of town for a few days with no internet so I will check back when I return, did not want you to think I was waisting anyones time.
BGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: How does the smaller belt increase HP

The shorter belt doesn't increase horsepower, what it does is keep your engine in a more usable RPM range by changing the shifting ratio....kinda like changing shift points in an automatic by keeping it in a lower gear longer. Different length belts will do different things, springs, clutch diameters and weights all have an effect on shift ratio. Thats the best way I can explain it, someone else may explain it better.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Wiki does a pretty decent job with the principal,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can have your drive clutch modified by CPP for a lower starting gear than stock! That beats the belt mod.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I don't know how much or how far you want to go with modifications but combining your 350 with a 295 head is money well spent. I have this setup in my 2000 txt and I love it. It's climbed everything I've tried climbing. I put the 295 head on my 350 and combined it with a shorter belt and an MSD ignition box. I have great low end and hill climbing power. This kinda veers away from the info. about the belt but I thought it might interest you seein' as you are needed some added torque.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
BGONE
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info I am going to try the the shorter belt that ruredy recomended 41". Has anyone else tried this on a 350st? If so let me know what you think about the low end power I know I'm going to loose top end speed I really don't care about that I just want to have the power to make
it through the woods, hills, and creeks while hunting. It seems to be the quickest and least expensive choice. Someone mentioned a clutch mod is that different than the 28 degree clutch? Because in the original post it says that st models come standard with the 28 degree. Hey thanks again for all the input I learn alot on this site.
BGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

A shorter belt will engage lower in the front or drive clutch which is like having a smaller sprocket on the front of a bicycle.
More torque applied to the rear with the same person pedaling it.

Also check your rear or driven clutch to make sure it is closing completely (forces the belt to the outer most edge) when stopped.
Same torque principles apply to the rear as above, the bigger the diameter sprocket on the rear reduces torque needed to turn it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Take your driven clutch apart and check the ramp buttons. If they are worn you need to replace them. Also check the clutch face. If there is wear/groove in the face it needs to be replaced. The belt will get hung up in there.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I will add more info. I put on shorter belt on my 350=1200 workhorse , It increased my Up hill pull power, I like it, Well it worked GREAt untill 6 weeks ago, the bollt 5/16 X 4 1/2 that holds the clutch on broke off in the spline I removed the clutch buy hand and used ez out and replaced bolt it lasted 3 weeks and broke again, now I can NOT remove the clutch it is stuck on the spline shaft any suggestions to remove it, The shorter belt Does work good. thank U

I hope ya dont think I tried to hi jack the thread
410MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO