lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: slow to start

What you might try is jump the cart from a car or jumper, if it starts a little faster I would look into the brushes. If it does not change at all, I would check for connection issues again, like take a DMM and test different points on the positive and ground wires to see if there is a voltage drop between battery and starter. If you have ~12v at the starter while it is working, likely the starter I would guess. Its either the starter drawing more power and not working, or the starter not getting enough power. The jumper trick may not work, but often bad brushes will make a starter get slower and slower, to the point where you need two batteries to start it. While a connection issue will stay the same if the power has to go through the same bad wires/connections no matter if you add more power (at the same voltage).

If its the pedal switch or solenoid, you should hear the click of the solenoid when the pedal is moved and no delay...and the starter starts to turn. I've never had a solenoid go bad, but same thing just put a DMM on both sides of it and you would get some voltage indicating it is not passing all the current and so resistance inside. But if you tested the wiring you would see that at the starter and could follow it back to the solenoid....in case somebody does not see what we are doing here. You should have nearly the same voltage at the starter as at the battery, if not you have a problem.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

you guys should check you starter gen belts for tightness, they can slip silenty. watch the starter gen pulley and press the gas. easier to do then replace starter brushes lol
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I know but I already listed that one. Trying to find a cam for my 16hp clone before I put it in....zzzooomm. See if I can come up with a cheap package that will haul the mail. That has the generator and the starter on the engine....and a recoil lol! Can get it started one way or another for sure.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Some good advice, Sabercat and Mike. Still would recomend a volt meter and follow the series of tests found in the "sticky" "so your Yami wont turn over". But that's just my experiance at fixing them.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
tutiii
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice.
I have about 12.8volts from the battery to the starter. i have band new belts. sprayed the pedal switch with a contact cleaner.
i noticed yesterday that after running a bit it is not as sluggish. maybe a carb issue?

thanks again
tut
tutiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha