lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
lyork
Not Yet Wild

Default best method for cutting body--headlight installation

What is the best method for cutting the body on a DS Club Car for headlight and tail light installation?? I am more comfortable using a jig saw and drilling holes in all four corners, but what type of blade do I use?? I also have a Roto-Zip tool, but this would be my first project using that type of tool, and would rather not unless you all say it's the "way to go".

Also, I bought a complete kit (headlight, brake lights, turn signals) and need a way to disconnect the power when it's in the trailer. (golf cart is used at the dragstrip). Ideally, all lights would be switched with the key, but my directions show just hooking straight to the battery, so I'm thinkg maybbe one of those battery disconnect terminal switches. What do you think I should use?? Is there a way of using the key switch that would be fairly painless??
lyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: best method for cutting body--headlight installation

Use the rotozip! That's the perfect application for that tool If you decide to use the jig saw I would pick the finest (most teeth) blade you have, probably for metal use.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW lyork!

Yep... a Rotozip seems to the best tool for the job! go slow, and easy... and you'll be fine!

as for the lights... I have mine hooked direct to the battery with no complications,
what seems to be your concern with them on the trailer?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve & Cathy's Golf Car 030.jpg (142.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Steve & Cathy's Golf Car 029.jpg (151.2 KB, 34 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
threeinchcutters
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

hey im in florida, i dont know if your near but i have a clip with holes that im wanting to trade for one without?? interested??
threeinchcutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
lyork
Not Yet Wild

my concern with cutting the power is the brake light circuit. When it's tied down in the trailer, we set the parking brake. The kit I purchased has one microswitch and a timer to cut off the brake light after a pre-determined time (30 seconds maybe). So I would rather not have power to it as it might sit with the parking brake set for a couple of days.

I'm located in the midwest, so thanks for the offer, but I'm probably better off cutting holes rather than switching bodies.

Okay, so if I use the Roto-zip, is there a particular bit to use, or one that works better than the other??

(and thanks for the pictures, looks like I had better do this outside!!)
lyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
bowtieboy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Had a friend loose his 6 second promod bike and stacker trailer due to a fire that started on his golf cart from a short. He said he may have had a touch of nitro methane in the trailer too. Fire was so bad he barely got trailer disconnected from his moho. I am going to put a battery disconnect switch on my buggie cause I don't want to have the same thing happen to my racing operation.
bowtieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I have to confess... my headlights are direct to the battery, my brake lights (no timer) are tied to my key switch!
Maybe a battery disconnect maybe better suited for you! which battery disconnect, however, eludes me...

Maybe someone else will chime in, or try a search in BGW for threads on battery disconnects!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car