lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
traceman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 popping through Carb into intake box

My G9 golf cart recently lost power. It barely will pull itself around the yard and is making a popping sound. I pulled the tube off the intake box that comes from the carb and it is puffing air through it. It is not like a backfire. There is no heat or fuel smell. I just wondered if something has happended to the valves and causing the compression to push out the intake.

any ideas??
traceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 popping through Carb into intake box

Sounds like it, I would pull the rocker cover and check it out. You could do a compression test before to make sure. Cart will pop and run poor with a leak in airbox, but they don't puff air out the carb really and will idle usually. Be careful about oil and that cover, if the oil gets under shrouding and on fins it collects dirt, you don't want it to leak. Its possible the pushrod came off the rocker or something, though not real common.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
traceman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Sounds like it, I would pull the rocker cover and check it out. You could do a compression test before to make sure. Cart will pop and run poor with a leak in airbox, but they don't puff air out the carb really and will idle usually. Be careful about oil and that cover, if the oil gets under shrouding and on fins it collects dirt, you don't want it to leak. Its possible the pushrod came off the rocker or something, though not real common.
Guess I will pull it off tonight and check it out. I bought one of those scanned repair manuals off ebay but can barely make out the pictures. Anyone have a good copy they could send me?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can look on TNTs site it has a parts breakdown. There was someone on here emailing them look for that thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
traceman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
We have a winner! I pulled the valve cover off yesterday and sure enough the pushrod was off the rocker on the right looking from the back of the cart. I took a screwdriver and compressed the valve spring and was able to get the pushrod back under the rocker. Now it won't crank. It would crank before. I am thinking I may have a bent valve for some reason. I don't know what else would have caused the pushrod to slip off like that.

Any ideas??
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Did you check the clearance between the valve stem top and rocker and adjust if needed?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
traceman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Did you check the clearance between the valve stem top and rocker and adjust if needed?
I can check it tonight.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Just pop it back off and see if it cranks, or it is some other electrical issue. It should turn over by hand and you can feel the intake/compression/exhaust stroke/etc. Bent valve usually stay open and don't seal. If they seal they can cause air to blow out the other valve as it opens/closes, air that is not supposed to be there.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

and you have tok make sure it is in the lifter. Most of the time the push rod come off is due to a sticking exhaust valve due to broke down oil.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
traceman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well I pulled the valve cover back off and the exhaust rocker was not moving when I turned it over. I pushed down on it to free it up and it is moving now. Not sure what caused it to stick. It then cranked but sputtered some. I put new oil in it last year. You think it broke down that quick?

Since it cranked I decided to do some freshening up. I pulled the tank and removed the fuel filter. Poured out all the old gas and installed an inline filter. Took off the carb and it felt sandy down in the fuel bowl so cleaned it all out. Not sure where the sand is coming from unless its my leaky airbox which I need a new lid for. Also replaced the plug because the other one was pretty black. It seems to be running good now. I know fixing the air box will only improve that.

What about eliminating the air box all together? Do most of you do that or keep the airbox assembly?

Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha