lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Muffler gasket install direction - fixing a loud cart

Does it matter which side of the muffler gasket faces the engine and which side faces the muffler (I know...probably a STUPID question)?

It seems that the gasket has something different about each side. Does the "side with the flat ring" go to one side or the other..or does it not matter?

Also, can you over-tighten the gasket?

My cart seems very loud and the old gasket was really hard and black so I figured it was a cheap replacement and we can see if it fixes anything. Other ideas to check when the cart seems loud?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7069 (Small).JPG (35.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7070 (Small).JPG (39.6 KB, 1 views)
tiger275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Muffler gasket install direction - fixing a loud cart

Two strokes are inherently more noisy than four strokes as on the power stroke the piston passes the exhaust port whilst there is still an active explosion. This will result in the exhaust gasket being subject to much more thermal stress.

Picture 1 should go against the pipe and picture 2 against the cylinder. 1 has a bigger mating suface as it has to crush up against the rolled flange of the pipe whereas the mating surface of the cylinder should be flat.

It is possible to over torque the nuts on the union and if you break the stud (especially if it shears flush with the cylinder) you will be in a world of misery. Just snug them up and give a little extra push.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I will install the new gasket and see if it helps any.

Just as a point of clarification, you talk about 2 strokes...but my engine is a 350 robin which is a 4 cycle. Were you just adding that for clarification of anyone reading the forum or am I missing an important point in there somewhere.

Ed
tiger275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It appears that I am missing an important point ! For some reason I read that you had a 2 stroke. Sorry, need more coffee.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO