lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 96 not moving well.................

Ok i have a 96 club car this is what it is doing.........went out ran it couple weeks ago took off and noticed right away something was wrong i had it all the way to the floor and it wasnt hardly moving maybe 5 mph. so i was thinking it was the belt i never replaced it so i put a new belt on it yesterday took off same thing.......put it in maint mode and the clutches seem to be working the way they are suppose to...... is there a shear pin that may of sheared or is my rear end and tranny toast???? i called 2 shops today and both gave off the wall answers. one wanted a compression test, put a new carb on it something with a cable. i told the guy it is running great other than the moving part......i am not sure if i can get it going fast enough to get on trailer to get it looked at.......
96clubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 not moving well.................

Is the motor revving but you are not going? Could the belt be slipping? Or the clutches not working?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Only way to know for sure is to pull the clutches and check the keyways. Your driven clutch should come off easily. Do you have a puller for the drive clutch? Sure sounds like you got something going on with one or the other clutch. If you do have a missing key you definately want to find out soon especially if the clutch is turning on the shaft. You could wear the shaft or the clutch beyond being usable.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maintenance mode is OK for for preliminary checks but there is no load on the motor or drive train to prove where problems may be. Unlikely that your compression fell through the floor unless something let go but check it anyway. 150 and up would remove doubt that the motor is bad. Are your brakes hanging up ? I've seen this a couple of times this Summer with sticks wedged in the mechanisms. If compression is good, and you can confirm correct fuel and spark delivery then it has to lie in the belt, clutch or trans area.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

there is a woodruff key in the driven clutch but if the bolt holding the clutch on is there than the key is there also........i have seen this one time when the woodruff key came out by the way the hey is approx 3 inches in lenth...............anyways when the key came out the cart wouldn,t move at all jacked up it ran fine with no load.........tires spun clutches opened but as soon as the cart hit the ground it just sat there clutches both opened as they should but cart just wouldn,t move so if your getting 5 mph i wouldn,t think the woodruff key fell out....i would do a compression test if for nothing else than to just eliminate that as an issue...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

wow this isnt really sounding good if gonna cost too much its gonna get dropped down to stock with wheels and tires and a for sale sign.........tired of messing with it been a pain ever since i got it from a family member. I will say it has a ton of new parts on it voltage reg coil ignitor carb fuel lines.......
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
wooly15
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
there is a woodruff key in the driven clutch but if the bolt holding the clutch on is there than the key is there also........i have seen this one time when the woodruff key came out by the way the hey is approx 3 inches in lenth...............anyways when the key came out the cart wouldn,t move at all jacked up it ran fine with no load.........tires spun clutches opened but as soon as the cart hit the ground it just sat there clutches both opened as they should but cart just wouldn,t move so if your getting 5 mph i wouldn,t think the woodruff key fell out....i would do a compression test if for nothing else than to just eliminate that as an issue...........................
The things he mentioned are easy things to fix yourself. Part 10 is the key he's referring to. Looks like shipping will cost more that the part itself. Youtube search videos on how check compression...that's cake.

http://www.golfcartpartsdirect.com/ecom-catshow/94.html
wooly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

ok is it possible to shear that? i guess stupid ? but do i need a puller to get that off? to check key way?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

It should come off easy, but you never know for sure until you try. I have an 88 cart that to my knowledge had never had the driven clutch removed. Mine came off easily by hand. The drive clutch is the one you will need a puller for. I'm having trouble believing the key is the problem, but, you won't know for sure unless you pull it.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace1975 View Post
It should come off easy, but you never know for sure until you try. I have an 88 cart that to my knowledge had never had the driven clutch removed. Mine came off easily by hand. The drive clutch is the one you will need a puller for. I'm having trouble believing the key is the problem, but, you won't know for sure unless you pull it.

Jason
You don't even need to pull it off. Just remove the bolt and washer and use a small mirror to see if the key and keyway are still in line with each other. Simple as that.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car