lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
XLerate
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGo mystery axle?

Hi folks!

New here & working on a project. I picked up a rear axle at a flea market with no info on what it is. After a couple of days searching I figured out it might be an EZ-Go differential, maybe. It looks an awful lot like the one posted here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...d-diagram.html

I'd guess it weighs 80-90 lbs or so, don't know if the case is aluminum or steel/cast iron. Pretty sure its been modified with those welded on flanges. Haven't torn into it & only took a few pictures but hoping somebody can give a hint on what the heck I just bought?

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan '12 unit 4.JPG (285.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Jan '12 unit 5.JPG (286.6 KB, 32 views)
XLerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGo mystery axle?

Is that a chain sprocket? I have never seen a chain drive Ezgo.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Green and 5 bolt hubs?? john deere?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
XLerate
Not Yet Wild

Yes, a chain sprocket. Not sure if that's the original setup, may have been a belt originally. Looks like a crude backyard modification on close up.

The paint is a sloppy home job by the last owner, not quite the right color for JD. Underneath that it's a dark primer red on housing, possibbly it was at one time unpainted on axle tubes or also a dark reddish. Maybe the same person painted it that butchered the axles by welding on those 5 lug flanges.

Found out the main differential housing is cast iron.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

that looks like it could be a candidate for a bb conversion. have you determined the ratio yet?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When you see a rearend removed from a cart, you gotta ask yourself, WHY was it removed? .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
XLerate
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
that looks like it could be a candidate for a bb conversion. have you determined the ratio yet?
I thought I had!? When I picked it up I swung by a buddy's to show him & gloat. I mean hey, 25 bucks, not bad, huh? There, with it in my truck, it seemed that the input shaft which sprocket is mounted to moved in & out to change ratios, or change something. Didn't observe if it was reversing.

Anways, with sprocket in one position ratio seemed to be roughly 3.25:1. With sprocket in other position the ratio seemed to be about 2:1.

Brought it home & unloaded it, fiddled with it this morning. Now I find that the input shaft with sprocket isn't fully engaged with internals as sprocket isn't firmly connected to input shaft, so there's slip in any position. Whether that's due to a shifter part inside having moved out of position I know not.

Oil is draining as we hunt & peck, so I can do a tear down. Was hoping for an ID for parts locating or rebuild.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

Still don't understand 5 bolt for a cart but as dooms saysssss BB material Maybe.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
XLerate
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Still don't understand 5 bolt for a cart but as dooms saysssss BB material Maybe.

Yeah, but like I mentioned, some past owner welded those drive flanges on in place of originals. Most likely changed it from a pulley & belt drive to chain & sprocket too.

I spent a few minutes with it today, long enough to drain the whole cup of oil & also to find that under the long skinny set screws on input sprocket there's the extra added security, of the broken off allen screws down in the holes. A nice touch & a novel way to pretend like you actually know what in the blank you're doing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO