lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
hot rod
Getting Wild

Default 88 ezgo 2 cycle engine and fuel problems solved

donald, dave thanks for all your help. found the problem and it is not good. the bottom bearing is out and the motor is makeing a grinding sound so more than likely i will do a bottom and top over haul. not sure if i want to put anymore money into this cart. might trade for a newer one. thinking about an electric cart. do you have any advice on this. never work on electric cart before and have always had gas powered atv and such. was told electric carts do not stay charged very long and if you get in rough terrein they go down even faster. i know the batteries are high to replace but in the long run if the cart stays charged for a long period of time the battery cart might be more cost effective since the gas prices have risen so much. also on the gas powered carts i hear they are 4 stroke and are not as quick as the 2 cycle. any imput would help my decision making.
hot rod
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo 2 cycle engine and fuel problems solved

Well I am sorry to hear that. You can of course just replace the bearings and from memory they are $7 each (you need 3). Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility that something else will fail so if you wanted to revive this then you are probably looking at nearer $400 for the engine rebuild kit. It's a tough call.

You are correct with regard to the 4 cycle engines. They had a very similar output to the 2 cycle but were much heavier and thus the power to weight ratio was reduced.

With regard to electric, I don't know as I have never owned one. That said the major cost is the batteries and I think that electric carts get a bad rap as most people are just too lazy to maintain this very high capital expenditure. Sometimes you will hear of people stating that their batteries have lasted 10 years and these are the folks who water and feed them more often than they should.

I don't suppose that you are anywhere near Virginia? I love rebuilding these things and I certainly need a new project. If the price was right .............

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Hotrod also sorry to here about this. May I suggest browsing the electric section in BGW and read some of the posts Look for scottyb and johnnyb you may also ask them for some advise on year to look at and the most cost effective cart for a BEGINNER. That said I prefer the gas and also had an electric that just needed battery's and was real clean but sold it because it did not preform near as well as my 87 gasser guess I could have gone with upgrades ie. 36v - 48v bigger controler-cables and such but that was also the limit of my knowledge. So if you elect to go electric you'll be missed in the gas section but we'll catch up with you in the electric. I think you've gone to for to give up now
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
hot rod
Getting Wild

found an 08 electric with windsheild, front lights, bed and 2011 batteries. the deal is my 88 gas and 1900.00. with a 60 day warranty. i hate to let tlhe 88 go but it seems all i am doing is working on it and spending a lot of money on an older cart that is going lower in value all the time. hot rod. thanks to all on your help. i have learned a lot from all of you.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Good job sounds realistic be sure to keep in touch or catch up with you on the electric side.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO