lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Nibeck
Not Yet Wild

Default '83 gas clutch bolt - Won't stay tight

Ugh, going nuts

The main bolt (the 7/16-20 6") that runs through the clutch from the rear keeps spinning loose when cart starts. I have used the "strong" Lock-Tite on the threads to no avail.

It was originally only hand tightened with socket. I didn't have a torque or air wrench available. Is there any magic, or do I just need some power tools? If I do need tools, any recommendations on how to keep the drive shaft and motor from turning while tightening the bolt?

_mike

ps - It's a tight fit trying to get tools in there to tighten this bolt, so I keep taking the entire engine out to tighten this thing. I'm on my 3rd try and getting really tired of doing the whole engine in/out thing!
Nibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: '83 gas clutch bolt - Won't stay tight

Mike is the bolt only getting loose ? If so there should be a heavy flat washer then a lock washer on the bolt. I would clean the threads well with carb cleaner and also the bolt then apply locktite blue and find a friend with an impact and socket and zip it on. By hand trying to hold the clutch and applying enough torque may not be getting it done. I wouldn't think any automotive shop would charge to run it in for you but if you have it out bite the bullet before the clutch works its way loose and destroys the clutch or crank. Hope this helps. Oh and also get a NEW lock washer an old one is no good
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Nibeck
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'll give it a shot. My lock washer was pretty much flattened, so I'll grab a new one of those. I also have the large washer, which looks to be completely intact.

So, if I understands this correctly, the shaft, clutch, bolt and washer(s) should in effect, act as a single unit once I'm done. Nothing should be spinning independently, correct?

_mike
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nib, clean the crank shaft and inside of the clutch. You can pull a spark plug and feed a little nylon rope in the cylinder to hold the engine as you tighten tha bolt.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

DOOS good call and Mike right nothing should spin independently. If the clutch will slide off also think about changing that crank seal movement of the clutch on the crankshaft may have damaged it K. Hate to see you get everything locked down and then we have another story.
LOU
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Nibeck
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the input. Hope to get it put back together today.

I admit that I'm a bit confused about DOOMsman's nylon rope trick. Not following exactly what I'm supposed to do here. Confused.....

_mike
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Mike is it possible that the bolt is bottoming out because the large spacer is missing? If the bolt is hitting the end of the thread in the crankshaft before clamping down on the clutch it will probably always fall off. If you are missing the spacer then just pack it out with some large washers about 1/4 inch deep.

The nylon rope trick involves packing the cylinder with rope so when you turn the crankshaft to tighten the clutch bolt you jam the piston in order to get some torque on that bolt. It is much harder to do on your engine as the cylinder is horizontal. My own personal view is that it is a useful technique on a vertical 4 stroke when changing valve seals or springs, you should be able to get enough torque by grabbing and squeezing on the starter belt.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Mike I just re-read your first post. You should not have to remove the engine to get to that bolt. If you remove the panel behind the seat backs you should have access to the bolt with at least a flat wrench.
If you are really stuck, remove the passenger side rear wheel and locate the rubber mount that bolts the engine frame to the chassis. Undo this and jack up the frame a few inches. This will raise the clutch with respect to the rear axle and give you enough clearance to get a socket in there.
For future reference this is also how to remove the clutch without pulling the engine.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Nibeck
Not Yet Wild

Wow, again, great info. Thanks all! I do have the large spacer (well at least a large washer). I might throw another one on there, just to make sure it's not bottoming out.

I'm doing this project with my 13 year old son, so as much of a PITA removing the motor is, he's actually enjoying the process, so we'll probably pull it out one more time :-)

_mike
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Great! I can see a future in MECHANICS for the young fellow. Idle time-Idle mind good luck.
LOU
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO