lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
dmilner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Opinions anyone?

Hi everyone, I'm a first time cart owner and new to the site, which is really helpfull! I've been reading and have some opinion type questions.

I bought a cart to use at our get away place in south Missouri, gravel roads, rocky ground, and pleanty of hills. It's a 2001.5 EZGO with the 295 engine. I've lifted it 5" and put 22" tires on it. Now I want to figure out how best to get more power to the ground and so have some questions.

Is it a worth the cost to go to the 350 engine? I've seen a rebuilt one locally for $550.

I have the 41" belt ordered as a quick fix to torque shortage but will changing to a 41" belt cause any probems down the road that could be avoided by a 28 deg clutch?

Is the stock exhaust mod worth the trouble,do you have to re-jet the carb, and does it do any good to BBQ the muffler on a four stroke?

Are the kits that make the rear end act like a posi lock dependable and worth the time and money?

Any and all opinions welcome:)
dmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Opinions anyone?

IMO goin to a 350 eng is worthless. not enough gain n hp/tq to say it worth it and most rebuilders wont take a 295 in for the core charge.

If you are thinking eng change than go big block. a 30hp V-twin Honda would look nice under the seat. lol

as far as belt, i usually like to upgrade the belt and the rear clutch at the same time. most of the time the rear clutch is worn out, esp if it orig.

if you dont need the 22" tires, than downgrade to 20" that wil lhelp you get some of the gear ratio back.

as far as posi - i have never used or installed one.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
dmilner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks CC, I'm pretty fixed on the 22's. You cant scrape an inch of dirt down there and not hit a rock. They range for baseball to watermellon size and there are millions of them sticking out of the ground.

I figure most opinions of the 350 will be alot like yours. I don't know a dang thing about these carts but that is my gut feel too. Do you know the size of the output shaft on the engine? I assume its straight out with a keyway.

I plan to tear into the clutches when I bring it home for the winter, the 41" belt is just to get me thru the summer.

Still open to any and all input!!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is a good price on the 350 but if your 295 is running good it's not that big of deal in hp I think the belt is your best option I didn't seam to gain much on the clutch change but did see a difference changing the clutch spring in mine. I also run in the ozark's at the lake so I know what kind of man killer rocks and hills your running in. Have you made any gov. adjustments? One other thing I find is people don't check their valves every year for clearance. This does help on keeping that lose of power from slipping away.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I agree with Doc. The posi may not be the best idea, it's somrtimes hard on lawns and unless your tires are spinning, not really worth much.
You might want to give Tom at Cart Parts Plus a call, he's kinda a clutching guru. He was able to help me with both my stock clutches as well as my BB clutches.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
dmilner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've adjusted the governor some and have plenty of top end. I also adjusted the cable so I get just a little less than full throttle opening and that made a big difference. I didn't adjust the valves but will this winter when I bring it home. It sounds and runs great so I thought I'd leave the engine alone for now.

There isn't a lawn to worry about for 20 miles:) The reason I asked about the posi kit is I was sitting rear end up on a fairly steep grade and tried to climb it from a stop. The engine began to pull down heavy then the left rear tire broke loose and I wasn't going anywhere but down the hill, and theese are new tires with deep tread. The thing is, along with the rocks and hills the reigion is heavily wooded so you need to be able to crawl. A shorter belt may help soft start it a little so I'll see how that goes first but I don't want to get stuck at the bottom of a hill and so I'm still curious for opinions on the posi kit. Does it work, does it last?

Thanks for the good help so far
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
dmilner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't what to jack my own thread but - Doc I saw Hard Core/Bike/Tralier pic. I live North in KC near 169 and Cookingham Rd. I have a Kaw Nomad (and trailer) and we love to ride. Our lot is just West of Warsaw. PM me if you want.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilner View Post
Don't what to jack my own thread but - Doc I saw Hard Core/Bike/Tralier pic. I live North in KC near 169 and Cookingham Rd. I have a Kaw Nomad (and trailer) and we love to ride. Our lot is just West of Warsaw. PM me if you want.
Hell I'm just north at 188th and 169, and my lot is just east of warsaw on BB hwy and 65
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO