lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
jimboj
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 kf82 spark issue

I just bought a 1988 gas club car that has no spark, we have checked all switches and they are fine, checked inner coil behind fylwheel and getting voltage from there, so bought a new external coil and installed. now I only get a spark when the gas pedall is released to the off position, when the pedal is depressed no spark and then one spark when pedal is released to the off position so its seems like some thing is wired backwards. the only other thing that I know that was done prior to me buying it was a new start solenoid was installed. any one have any ideas for me?

Thanks
Jim
jimboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
jimboj
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 kf82 spark issue

PLEASE HELP does anyone have any ideas PLEASE.

Thank you
Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
jimboj
Not Yet Wild

well I cant figure it out, not sticking any more money into this old cart so I think its going to the bone yard
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

I am by no means an expert but here's my thought, of course this is based on my 96 DS so it may be different from yours....

I would check the servo's located in the little black box in conjunction with the wiring for your solenoid. When those servo's are off (normally with the pedal at rest) you won't be getting any spark. Then when you press the pedal and it releases those servo's the cart will begin turning over and producing spark to start.

It sounds like your cart is producing spark when the pedal turns the servo's back off (when the pedal is returned the off position). That makes me think that something is miswired since that is when it should (in theory) stop producing spark.

Perhaps there is something miswired in the start solenoid or possibly something is crossed or shorted in the servo's.... Perhaps the previous owner had mis wired the solenoid..............

Hope that helps.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
jimboj
Not Yet Wild

I have checked these items and they all seem ok, I will go thru and check it over again.

Thanks for your help shoelessjoe.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

coils behind flywheel are bad.
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
jimboj
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Phil B. Does any one know where you can get these coils? and not pay a million bucks for them?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Dale M
Getting Wild

Try this first, works on many mowers I've fixed in the past, provided the same principles are at work here. I've never taken my cart that far apart so I am not 100% sure. Golfcartthing said the coils were behind the flywheel, different from my mower experiences, those coils are outside next to the flywheel. In this case pull the flywheel and clean the magnets on it with some steel wool, maybe even fine emery cloth. Also clean the pick ups on the coil. Put it back together and see what you get.

Someone please correct me if my thinking is wrong on this, I don't want jimboj tearing into his cart if this procedure won't work.
Dale M is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car