lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default model year question

what year did Ezgo start using the 4 stroke, 2 cylinder engines? I am looking at another marathon (i believe) because it has the metal body.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe in 89 but don't quote me on that. The metal bodies were made up to 94.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Question Re: model year question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast67 View Post
I believe in 89 but don't quote me on that. The metal bodies were made up to 94.

Thanks! Didn't realize that. Is there somewhere on here that lists the different models (marathon, txt, etc.) with the years they were made and what features like engine size?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: model year question

1989 ushered in the 3PG 2-stroke engine which replaced the 2PG 2-stroke ... the 2-stroke was available through 93 in the standard carts with an option for the 4-stroke 295 OR the 3PG 2-stroke in the Workhorse GXT models, If i recall correctly
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks brew. I was trying to find the info.

1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

what are the pros/cons of each? (4 stroke vs. 2 cycle) I currently have a 2 cycle and like the fact there isn't a lot of maintenance on it. Does the 4 stroke require more regular maintenance? Is the 4 stroke a stronger engine in terms of hp? I found another cart (92 model) but it has a 4 stroke 2 cylinder engine. I am thinking about picking it up for the wife. Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If it wasn't for the pollution issue I think that we would see a lot more large 2 cycle engines. As you say they are simpler to maintain and with far fewer moving parts, cheaper. In addition with every stroke being a power stroke the power to weight ratio is greater. The 2PG engine has a 9hp output and the 3PG, 11hp. This mirrors the more complex 295cc four stroke and the 350cc. However as the combustion is completed in a sealed chamber on a four stroke and unburnt hydrocarbons are emitted from a two stroke the mighty EPA say no more.
But the real problem with a two stroke is that they all sound like this.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

now WHO's gonna help me clean the sprayed coffee off the monitor, I may ask ?!?!?!? Nice one, Dave, hahahahahahaha

As to the comparison, my buddy has a 93 with the 295, and we routinely have the inevitable contests with them, etc (generally over several beers or Tequilas) ... Bottom line, my 2-stroke is faster off the line by probably 20%, and I have a solid 4mph or so over him on the top end (both carts are lifted with 22X11's on them) - from a dead stop I'll generally get about a cart length and a half ahead of him before they start to even out speedwise, then once they unwind I start to slowly pull away even more (through the mids though, almost no difference).

As to pulling power, mine bogs a bit on the hills as compared to his, but once my clutches start doing their job and the motor winds up I pull ahead rather quickly - which is also indicative of the difference between the two, my RPM's seem to move around a lot more during varied use while his cart seems a little more steady (could be that we both are running 20+ year old clutches that act a little differently, though).

Lastly (do NOT try this at home) if I kneel in the box of his cart towards the back and he nails it, the box will drop down a bit but the cart will pull away and even out after a short bit, if he stands in the bagwell of mine holding the seatback and I nail it, my front end climbs swiftly towards the sky ... As the "boxee" of the equasion, you WILL fall out and get a bump on your middle-aged noggin, as the driver of the other scenario you will end up with a bloody nose courstesy of the steering wheel if you're not careful when the carts front wheels decide to touchdown on terra-firma once more - TRUST ME.

Well-behaved and consistant = 4 stroke. More performance-oriented and a little finicky (likes the higher RPM's) = 2-stroke
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
If it wasn't for the pollution issue I think that we would see a lot more large 2 cycle engines. As you say they are simpler to maintain and with far fewer moving parts, cheaper. In addition with every stroke being a power stroke the power to weight ratio is greater. The 2PG engine has a 9hp output and the 3PG, 11hp. This mirrors the more complex 295cc four stroke and the 350cc. However as the combustion is completed in a sealed chamber on a four stroke and unburnt hydrocarbons are emitted from a two stroke the mighty EPA say no more.

Dave
So I should treat my old rattle can as the better of the two in a sort of loud stinky kinda way.

Thanks Dave. I can surely relate to the video. Kinda what mine really sounds like
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO