lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Default Best cart to build an offroad rig

Ok so I am selling my 83 ezgo 2 stroker after I found out that it is not the optimum cart for what I am wanting to do with it... My question is what is the cart for me... I am wanting to build a lifted hunting cart that rides on 23" tires ... I want to have enough torque to hog about 600lbs of cargo and riders up decent grades but hopefully still be able to run 20mph down the road. I definitely want a 4stroker too. Now here is the kicker... I will only have about $1500 to buy the base cart then I will gradually add on parts here and there to make it what I want. I do my own welding fab work so I will probably build the lift for it. What brand and model/ years should I look for and is this possible on my budget? Also what mods will have to be done to each suggested cart to make it work for me?
Riddle.brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Best cart to build an offroad rig

I sold my older model EZGO because of the front suspension. I didn't like the way the front axle mounted to the springs. Since you will do your own welding, stay away from aluminum frames and also go with something that already has an IFS up front.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

An older Yamaha may work for you. They are IFS, steel tube frame, not sure about the four stroke though (may depend on year).
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Id say EZGO or Yamaha with long travel front lift and big block kit would be the best situation.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

I used a club car thats in my avitar, bought rolling chasis for $20.00 used vanguard 16hp, winch, rifle rack, wheels/tires, made the rest about 1800.00 so far
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I agree with the Ez-go or Yamaha for a base cart.
Try to find one with a bad engine in it and you are in the right $$ range.
I've taken about 4 years to build mine to where it's at and of course everyone will tell you it's never done.

It's turned out to be quite the capable machine.
I've moved my 4000 lbs enclosed snowmobile traler loaded and my 3500 lb boat around the property with it. The week point is the brakes when you're moving that kind of weight.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Best I've seen have been on EZ Go frames as well, Club Cars are aluminum so can be a pain to fab things yourself...Yamahas are great too but everything about EZ Gos are mechanic friendly!
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Well to do a big block kit don't I need to start with a four stroke cart so I will have reverse in the rearend instead of a turning the motor backwards? If so what year did they start putting 4 strokes in ezgos? I wasn't really wanting to go big block right off the bat but that might be the right thing for me. Are the big blocks quiet? I know from the lawn mower world kholers and Hondas are generally quieter thank Briggs motors... Is this still true with the Briggs vanguards?i would like to be as quiet as possible without going electric... I'm sure it is possible to keep the quiet with certain mufflers... My 1000cc arctic cat four wheeler is really quiet with the stock pipe on it and a screamer with the speeders pipe on it... Thanks for the input so far and sorry for bombarding you guys with tons of questions at once... I think I just sold my 83 ezgo tonight so I am rearing to go.

Also what year Yamaha would you recommend?
Riddle.brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Whew! Ok here we go...

EZGO TXT 1994-2001.5 will be good, lots of parts like long travel lifts and big block kits avail.

Yamaha G2-G9 say 1990-1998? will be good also, same parts avail. I think the Yamaha's have a better frame and I like the looks better, but that's my opinion. I had an EZGO too, liked it ok as well.

Loud? It all depends on the muffler you use. You can play around with that. I've seen where guys who hunt actually put an aux muffler on it when they hunt, they just bolt them on the end of the exhaust pipe, then take it off afterwards.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd recommend buying the nicest condition cart you can afford. You are going to be fixing things on a cheap clunker, but if it's in good condition you'll have less fixing time and more modifying time. Look at the $1200-$1500 range and you'll be safe. Sometimes you can sell a stock running engine for a few hundred and put that toward the project.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts