lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Buggy_Doug
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 Marathon timing tips

Hello all. You guessed it, Im new to this site and I have a problem. I picked up this cart for Mom and am finding it runs better in reverse than forward. I figured it was a timing issue as it has already had seals replaced on the crank. Compression although I have not checked yet, seems OK. What Im wondering is setting the points with the engine in the cart do-able? It looks fairly easy to pull but may not be necessary.
Buggy_Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon timing tips

your 88 doesn't have points, to set the timing you have to pull the flywheel and under it you will find a pulsar (little black plastic box w a metal tip, 2 screws holding it in place). These engines are VERY forgiving on timing, but it's possible the pulsar has loosened up and slid all the way to one side, open up the front of the motor, pull the flywheel, center the pulsar in the slots and button it all back up, should do the trick.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Welcome Buggy I'd bet your problem is when the past owner replaced the crank seals he had to remove the pulser plate assembly under the flywheel side. This plate is your timing adjustment ( NO POINTS) electronic ignition. If you remove the flywheel you will see the plate with the 2 slotted holes moving it forward/backwards will advance are retard the timing. If you look at that plate close you should see a mark at one of the screw locations this mark should be centered with that screw mounting hole and secure. There is a way to check the timing with a light but that's a different story Hope this helps. Oh if timing is 18 deg in forward reverse will be at 21 deg which is correct + or - 3 deg.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

WOW BREW great minds think alike We posted at the same time

HAVE A GREAT DAY

LOU
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I was gonna repost with: ^^What HE said^^ but figured it would get lost in the wash, hahahahaha
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Buggy_Doug
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I thought it had points. Looks like the manual I found isnt quite what I was looking for. Does someone have one for an 88. Looks like Fugi Heavy Industries engine 144 or 244 cc . The tag is a little rough
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

It's a Fuji/Robin 244cc ... ALTHOUGH the 88's have a few specific parts that are different from the rest of the 244's, specifically the carb, intake, reeds, exhaust header pipe, muffler, starter bracket, etc.

On the upside, the standard 2PG 244cc puts out a whopping 9hp, while the 1988 puts out 11.2 ... Translates into about 4-5mph on the top end if You pull the governor, and a significant amount of torque and takeoff on the bottom. Of all my carts, the 88 is the only one I would never part with :)

Use the 87 manual in the "sticky" section for basically everything except engine respiration
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Buggy_Doug
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I think the compression is rather dicey. Ive tried moving the armature plate both ways nearly to the ends of the bolt slots and its pretty much the same. Smells gassy. My old comp gauge is broke but I think its somewhere between 60 and 90 psi. I want to be sure so its new comp tester time. The plus side if this is so the seals are done. Wonder why they stopped there.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

$200.00 for a top end kit or $400.00 for a complete may be the answer to your question. Seals $7.00 ea. Did the seal on the flywheel side look new ?? 90 psi would be boarder line but it should run. Are you mixing the gas ? 1oz per gallon or 128:1 a fresh fuel mix may help the strong fuel smell especially if its been sitting. Center the pulser plate slots with the screws and try again. K

LOU
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Buggy_Doug
Not Yet Wild

The seals are new and sealed in place as well. No leakage evident. I put a mix of 100:1 into it. It was a little heavy when I got it. May have been artificial compression with more oil. I did put a timing light on it, several times but it was on the mark. It kicks back on the starter when turned too far counterclockwise. Clockwise make no noticeable difference. Always runs faster in reverse. I have the rear end up to test run and in forward it wont even rev high enough to close the sheaves on the primary. Reverse, no problem. If it dint run in reverse I would look at the carb. I did an inspection of the pulse side of the fuel pump and it was dry. I may have too look inside but first Im getting a reliable comp tester.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO