lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default 2003 TXT spit/sputter/backfire

Bought a 2003 gas TXT a couple weeks ago. Has the 295 Robbins. Nagging issue is when cold it will spit/sputter/backfire through airbox until warmed up. Have to work choke a good bit to get going.

I have pulled and cleaned carb, same result. Even tried an aftermarket carb with same result

Adjusted valves to .004, same result.

Changed plugs, same result.

Seems to clear up and run pretty good when warmed up, but pops through airbox a good bit until warm.

I did notice the fuel has a very reddish/pinkish tint to it so I'm thinking it may have a good bit of Stabil or similar product in it. Also not sure how old the fuel is but doesn't 'smell' stale.

Compression is good on both cylinders and within a lb of each other.

Possibly valve issue until things warm up/seating issue, but again compression is good.

Ideas?

Thanks!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2003 TXT spit/sputter/backfire

Ok, I adjusted the valves again on the cam side, still have the same issue. Cart seems to run ok when warmed up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What kind of compression numbers are you seeing?

First thing I would do before diving too deep is drain/clean the gas tank, put in new fuel lines and filters and fill it with fresh gas. May be water or something in the bottom of the tank where the pickup is, which isn't good for cold starts but less noticeable once the engine is warm. water evaporates a lot quicker in a hot motor.

or after seeing the reddish/pinking leak thread here recently, maybe someone put 2stroke premix in there, so may be fresh gas, but that 2stroke oil isn't going to do you any favors...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
1arunem
Gone Wild

Going to get old gas out and put in some fresh for sure. Shouldn't have ignored that step.

I have replaced fuel filter and it has a new pump.

Will see where that leads! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good luck. Hopefully it's just bad gas.

Might be worth pulling the carb and blowing it out real good with compressed air. No telling what's in that gas or what new stuff may have accumulated in the carb.

I don't think gas is supposed to be pink. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I bought a roll of 1/4 inch gas line from amazon.

I used it on two carts replacing all the gas lines.

I was having issues with one of the carts and removed the new line . Gas had turned a red color. Checked other cart and same thing.

Not in tank just what came out of line. I read the reviews on this gas line and I wasn't the only one that had this to happen. I will stay with a brand name from now on.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
1arunem
Gone Wild

Off topic, trig did I see on another post you are in Alabama? Where? I live in Helena.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Alexander City . My shop is on highway 280 , 4 miles west of there toward you . There was once a drag strip in Helena.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO