lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
cowansauto
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring Help- Can’t Find 12V Key On Ignition Source

I’m trying to wire up a Boss motorcycle Bluetooth speaker system and I won’t it stay on the whole entire time the key is turned on without putting it on a toggle switch. I’m not the best with wiring diagrams sometimes and I could not find any sources to install the power wire in this manner at the solenoid or other places UNLESS the throttle is engaged which would require the Bluetooth setup to have to be restarted every time.

I’ve attached a wiring diagram from a 1999 model that appears to be the same as my 2001 TXT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A475ABB5-FA1D-4F4C-AC63-27C3AA786EEF.jpg (9.4 KB, 0 views)
cowansauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring Help- Can’t Find 12V Key On Ignition Source

Could you install the workhorse key switch ? Then run a fused wire from battery to one terminal of switch. When the switch is turned two notches to right it will crank and you will have power all the time on one of the terminals on switch. Use that one for your sound system.

That's the terminal you connect headlights to on the workhorse.

I have never did this but have wired headlights on my cart with that switch.

You won't depend on the solenoid supplying power then. Just turn the key two clicks to start it and you will be in business. I think

I installed a volt meter in mine last week using the hole in key plate that gas gauge is supposed to go in. The volt meter only works when I press the pedal. I couldn't use the terminal for headlights because I didn't want them on in the daylight.

Just a thought on yours .
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The wiring on an ezgo is opposite most other carts. In the ezgo it runs from battery to pedal first, and then the key. And from key to solenoid. So the key switch only has power when the pedal is depressed.

You would have to do as trig said, or reverse that circuit to run from battery to key, key to pedal, and pedal to solenoid. This wouldn't be hard, nor take very long. The pedal wires are below the shifter and the wire from the key comes up through the floor right next to the solenoid. 2 jumper wires and it would work like you want it to.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

[quote=CP241;1748771]The wiring on an ezgo is opposite most other carts. In the ezgo it runs from battery to pedal first, and then the key. And from key to solenoid. So the key switch only has power when the pedal is depressed.

You would have to do as trig said, or reverse that circuit to run from battery to key, key to pedal, and pedal to solenoid. This wouldn't be hard, nor take very long. The pedal wires are below the shifter and the wire from the key comes up through the floor right next to the solenoid. 2 jumper wires and it would work like you want it to.[/quote

You ever done an ezgo like this CP ? Would everything else work correct doing this ? I never thought much about this because all I ever worked on were ezgo's .
I was thinking about installing an ezgo headlight switch I got on mine and using the wires I had for headlights to my volt meter.

I want to see the battery status when I turn the key on and this would work if I turned the key to the 2nd position where the headlights are now wired. Or maybe try your way ?
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes I've done it a couple times to add radios. Nothing bad happens, you're not rwally "changing" anything. Power still goes through the same components to energize the solenoid, so that doesnt change. Youre just modifying thr path, or order in which those components see power.

You should have a pigtail with spade connectors that runs to the pedal switch below where the shifter is if i remember correctly, or may have to cut the wires there. Then unplug the spade from the solenoid small terminal, and run a jumper wire basically swapping the 2 wires. Easier to do than explain without a cart in front of me, but takes about 10 minutes tops

I would still recommend running the radio power through a relay and not just the key switch itself. Use the key to energize the relay. A radio will pull too much current and end up burning out the key switch without a relay
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
cowansauto
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far!

Here is an install pic I found of the radio system that I am using. It shows a recommended (but not included originally) relay method to use.

I'm going to have to study the diagram above and your posts to understand it a little better before I attempt to change the current set-up plus the addition of the relay. I'm sure I will have to ask some other questions before its all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOSS RADIO.jpg (12.6 KB, 0 views)
cowansauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO