lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
Adamebrown7
Not Yet Wild

Default Express S4 Elite - Programming Questions

I am new to the Forum and just recently purchased a 2021 Express S4 Elite 2.0. As others have mentioned here on the forum, the S4 reads a top speed of 19 MPH from the factory (based on GPS and neighborhood speed sensors its more like 17 to 18 MPH). I could live with the current top speed; however, low to mid-20s would probably be more enjoyable. Through my forum research, I see that Mr. Boyce is very trusted to make programming adjustments to the controller. I will work on getting 3 posts in order to unlock the PM ability; however, I do have the below questions regarding reprogramming the cart.

1. Is there a significant loss in battery life when the cart is turned up to the low to mid-20s?

2. The torque seems to be very high from the factory as throttle is quite sensitive. Is it recommended to turn down the torque (note that I live in a very hilly neighborhood)?

3. Are there any other upgrades/changes I should consider for the S4 Elite to improve drivability, battery life, etc?

Thanks!
Adamebrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Express S4 Elite - Programming Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamebrown7 View Post
I am new to the Forum and just recently purchased a 2021 Express S4 Elite 2.0. As others have mentioned here on the forum, the S4 reads a top speed of 19 MPH from the factory (based on GPS and neighborhood speed sensors its more like 17 to 18 MPH). I could live with the current top speed; however, low to mid-20s would probably be more enjoyable. Through my forum research, I see that Mr. Boyce is very trusted to make programming adjustments to the controller. I will work on getting 3 posts in order to unlock the PM ability; however, I do have the below questions regarding reprogramming the cart.

1. Is there a significant loss in battery life when the cart is turned up to the low to mid-20s?

2. The torque seems to be very high from the factory as throttle is quite sensitive. Is it recommended to turn down the torque (note that I live in a very hilly neighborhood)?

3. Are there any other upgrades/changes I should consider for the S4 Elite to improve drivability, battery life, etc?

Thanks!
Battery life depends upon driving habits. Speed vs range is way different with AC drive vs DC drive. It can only take about 5% more current to maintain rotor lock at roughly double the speed, all other factors being equal. With AC motors, it is the AC frequency that drives the 3 phase AC motor that determines speed. Current gets used more by hard accel and hill climbing, where rotor lock needs to be at its highest. One of the biggest issues to range is after a reprogramming, drivers get addicted to feeling the higher G forces of accel. They don't need to do jack-rabbit starts all the time, but it becomes normal for them. The reason for allowing it is... to get across streets in heavy traffic, when an opening becomes available. Then go back to normal driving!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Thomasj106
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Adamebrown7, I, too am new to this forum and just recently bought the same exact vehicle. I love it but have the same feeling about the speed. My GPS says I'm doing 19 but the cart feels like it could easily do more without any effort. On another note, and I don't mean to hijack your post but have a question that you may be able to answer for me. Is your battery gauge backlit? I would think it should be but mine isn't. Either that or it doesn't work. When I take the cart out at night I have to use my phone flashlight to see the gauge. That doesn't make sense to me.

I've hunted the Internet until I'm blue in the face but cannot find the answer to that question anywhere. I posted that question on here and with 38 views, no one has yet answered it. I even emailed EZGO and they haven't responded. The dealer I purchased the cart from is 88 miles away and since the sale and delivery, has not returned one phone call or text. I hope this isn't any indication of how my trust in EZGO is going to go. Thanks!
Thomasj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Adamebrown7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Bob. It sounds like driving style will still play a big factor in battery life after reprogramming.

Thomas: Yes. My battery gauge is backlit. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Adamebrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
Thomasj106
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. I figured it should have been. Mine isn't. The dealer I bought the cart from is an authorized EZGO dealer. Since buying the cart he has not returned phone calls or texts. EZGO themselves takes forever to respond and when they did they told to talk to the dealer I bought the cart from. I stayed away from the Chinese carts such as Icon and Evolution because I wanted American made and I didn't want to deal with bad customer service. I should have bought an Icon.
Thomasj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #6
Eddy bee
Not Yet Wild

Same cart, bb got me up to 29mph, no loss of torque, yes less battery time because I’m running faster I guess. No my gauge is not back lit. Love the ability and speed when needed
Eddy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #7
Eddy bee
Not Yet Wild

Also since I have the lithium with all the extra room I installed a deep cell acid boat battery to run the exco sound bar, extra lights and any other component to extent the lithium motor usage. Cheap mod
Eddy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:30 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasj106 View Post
Thank you. I figured it should have been. Mine isn't. The dealer I bought the cart from is an authorized EZGO dealer. Since buying the cart he has not returned phone calls or texts. EZGO themselves takes forever to respond and when they did they told to talk to the dealer I bought the cart from. I stayed away from the Chinese carts such as Icon and Evolution because I wanted American made and I didn't want to deal with bad customer service. I should have bought an Icon.
It really depends upon which guage is installed. There are a couple of guage options. The default one is basic and is not backlit, the more complex guage interfaces to the controller via CANbus and is configurable via software.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
Reelog
Not Yet Wild

Bob- can you help increase the speed on my 2019 S4 elite? live in Ky
Reelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelog View Post
Bob- can you help increase the speed on my 2019 S4 elite? live in Ky
When I am up that way, yes. Send a Private Message to usgicollector with your contact information to get on the list.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO