lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 TXT now goes, but the saga ain’t quite over

OK, I had two prior threads covering my problems (2009 TXT No Go, and 2009 TXT No Go II, The Saga Returns).

Since then, I’ve replaced the stock controller with an Alltrax SR48400 along with the SW180 solenoid, all from CartsUnlimited, per JohnnieB’s suggestions.

The cart DOES run now, so it seems pretty clear that I fried the old controller.

However, it only runs when I depress the pedal just a little. If I push it in more than about an inch, it cuts off. Also it can be kinda jerky when just getting going (kinda like when you teach a novice how to drive a stick shift for the first time - jerky).

I didn’t have time to diagnose more, but I’m guessing that I either need to adjust the pedal switch a lot, or perhaps the controller is not programmed for what I need?

Any advice as to what to work on next?
Powder Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 TXT now goes, but the saga ain’t quite over

Is your Alltrax set up for ITS ? Is your ITS good and sending the proper signal to the controller ?
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The controller had “ITS” written on the back when it arrived, so I _assume_ that it is properly set up.

I replaced the ITS cutoff switch during round one of repairs, and adjusted the travel a little so that it cut on & off at the right time. But that was with the stock setup.

I have not measured voltages yet, as I ran out of time and daylight yesterday. I will try to measure them later today or tomorrow when I can get back out to the farm, where the cart resides.

Per the cartslimited site, I should see 8-10V just engaged, and 5-6V at full throttle. Anything else I should check for now?

Sorry I’m still kinda new at all of this golf cart internal work - but I’m learning a lot about this cart!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am not at all familiar with Alltrax controller and what the specs are for the return signal from ITS to controller but I do know that it is different for a Curtis series vs PDS controller. Seems to me you have something out of sync on that low voltage signal. But there again, I'm talking out of school addressing Alltrax. Never had a hand on one.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the EZGO ITS throttle type is the one selected, the LED on the controller ought to flash green four times when it powers up then go to steady green and change to amber when the pedal is pushed to the floor.

To measure the ITS voltage, connect your DVM between the black and white wire connected to J4 and J5. Pedal up should be 10V and pedal down should be 6V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR in TXT.jpg (250.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I’m out at the farm now looking at the cart. The LED does not glow green (or any other color) when the power key is switched on. However, it does turn green when I depress the pedal.

I’m assuming this is a problem?

I will make some measurements once I get the rear wheels up off the ground.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Burns View Post
Well, I’m out at the farm now looking at the cart. The LED does not glow green (or any other color) when the power key is switched on. However, it does turn green when I depress the pedal.

I’m assuming this is a problem?

I will make some measurements once I get the rear wheels up off the ground.
Normal for a series drive. The controller does not power up until the pedal is pressed.

Not sure why EZGO designed the control wiring that way. Personally, I believe the controller ought to power up when keyswitch is truned on.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK with the wheels up I get about 3.6V when the solenoid engages. It stays about the same as the pedal goes all the way to the floor. The motor only spins both wheels during the first part of engagement, then it only turns the left wheel (and more slowly as you depress the pedal further). Releasing it slowly is similar, as the motor fully engages both wheels only when the pedal is almost fully released (up). Then the solenoid releases and it of course stops running. The LED is solid green during the time the pedal is engaged - no blinking, no red, amber, etc.

Edited to add: the above is for the J4-J5 measurement. When measuring from B- to J4, it’s about 4.5V or so.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your cart has an open differential, so the torque is routed to the wheel with the least mechanical drag, so one wheel might spin, or both wheels, one might even turn in the opposite direction.

The controller sees the voltage between J4 and J5 as the throttle signal, so your throttle signal is 3.6V and stays the same as pedal is pushed to floor. That voltage ought to be triggering High Throttle underrange and Low Throttle underrange errors.

When pedal is pushed, the LED ought to flash green 4 times before going to steady green, unless it is programmed for some throttle type other than EZGO ITS.

-----------
Disconnect the wires from J4 and J5, then measure the voltage after pressing pedal to power up the controller. Not sure what it should measure, but it has to be more than 10V since that is the pedal up voltage.

Also, has water gotten into the pedal box?
Old 06-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #10
Powder Burns
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One note: I do seem to be getting ONE green LED flash when I first start, so it seems that this may actually be programmed for “0-5k throttle” and not “EZGO ITS throttle” - thus it seems to have not come programmed correctly.

When I disconnect J4 & J5, I get essentially zero voltage when I depress the pedal. No solenoid engagement either. I do, however, get 2 green and 6 red flashes, which seems to be a “low throttle under range” error.

I don’t think water got into the pedal box, but nothing surprises me anymore.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO