lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Question G2 revving up and down at full throttle (gas)

Backstory, got the cart last week it would go 15-18 mph but had a rattling clutch due to broken weight. So I decided to replace that with a Comet Clutch (amazon), new rear clutch (amazon), new belts and new spark plug. Governor is adjusted but just not all the way in. Throttle cable adjusted to open the valve on carb just as the foot-switch is activated.

The cart operates but wont go past 9mph and I cant push the pedal all the way with out it revving up and down over and over (see video).

Also I bbq the muffler because it smoked a little and would pop/snap/backfire, but i think my muffler is shot. It sounds like a loud rattling like the baffles are broken inside.

Here is a youtube of what it is doing, this is in neutral. Sorry it is loud due to the muffler. I have a new muffler coming in later this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqWLrwn3LS8

(Also, I did not see anywhere on the new comet clutch to lubricate it? Any ideas)

New carb (Chinese) coming tonight to see if that fixes it.

eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G2 revving up and down at full throttle (gas)

Either the belt is SEVERELY worn or the clutches are junk. The belt is sitting almost an inch down into the driven clutch. It should rest slightly above the lip. My money is on the aftermarket China clutches.

Chinese carb ain’t gonna fix that. If anything it’ll make it worse.

It sounds like you’re bouncing off the rev limiter. I’d blame the clutches based on what I can see in the video.

And take some slack out of the throttle cable. It shouldn’t begin to open until after the pedal switch is activated.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Either the belt is SEVERELY worn or the clutches are junk. The belt is sitting almost an inch down into the driven clutch. It should rest slightly above the lip. My money is on the aftermarket China clutches.

Chinese carb ain’t gonna fix that. If anything it’ll make it worse.

It sounds like you’re bouncing off the rev limiter. I’d blame the clutches based on what I can see in the video.

And take some slack out of the throttle cable. It shouldn’t begin to open until after the pedal switch is activated.
Thanks, that's what I'm wondering. The drive clutch came with a big red spring that I could not compress correctly to get it on the shaft so I used the old stock spring (prob a bad idea). The belt is new.

I will try getting the red spring (stiffer) that came with it to get it on. It is such a pain (without the right tools) to compress and get that rear clutch on... I have heard of the ratchet strap method but could not figure that out.

Thanks for the assistance! This is a good forum. Keep it up!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I believe they make a tool specifically for the secondary (driven) clutch that makes it much easier

Either way those clutches don’t look right at all. That may explain why it’s dropping so far down.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It looks the last thing that secondary needs is a stiffer spring. Did you get any preload on it ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
It looks the last thing that secondary needs is a stiffer spring. Did you get any preload on it ?
I think I must of installed it wrong. Going to try and find that clutch compression bracket/tool before I try it again.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Maybe i did not preload it?? I pushed the spring back plate combo on with a pry bar past the woodruff key then slid the front plate and torqued the nut on. I'm pretty new to clutches.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Unhappy Re: G2 revving up and down at full throttle (gas)

Replaced the rear clutch (again) thick red spring amazon chineseium parts.
Clutch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Belt still rides down a 1/4" plus when belt is not moving. Do I have the wrong belt for my G2?? I'm using this one J38-46241-00 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

See picture of belt riding. Could it be my comet clutch causing this?
Comet Clutch (also pictured):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210615_190054_HDR.jpg (130.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210615_190018_HDR.jpg (135.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210615_190010_HDR.jpg (149.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Also to add to the post, it is still doing what it did in that Youtube video reving up and down...

Maybe I need to make the belt tighter with the engine mount adjustment.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #10
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Sorry one more add... The belt on the front clutch is not riding up the clutch very much at all when revving up... could be another factor. Or I might just be loosing my mind at this point. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha