lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
ScottHe
Not Yet Wild

Default '03 G22A Stereo Wiring

I am installing a stereo in my cart soon and wondering about the correct way to wire it. I want the radio to shut off when the key gets shut off but would like the memory to not be cleared every time.

I know the stereo should have a memory wire. Do I run that directly to the battery? Will that drain my battery easily. I use it for golf in the summer and gets used 4 times a week minimum. I could unhook it for the off season or put a switch in it.

Should I splice into wires the go to the key to get the stereo to turn off with the key? Just don't want radio left on by mistake. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
ScottHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
tutiii
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '03 G22A Stereo Wiring

You can run the constant power wire to the battery and splice the On/Off to the ignition wire.
i have a radio in my trailer that i have the constant power wire hooked directly to the battery and the battery is fine. you ould always get a battery tender for the winter.
where are you mounting your radio? i'm also putting a radio in but on the fence on where to mount it.
tutiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
ScottHe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I was hoping I could keep that constant power hooked up.

I'm going to build an overhead console this weekend and mount it to the aluminum rails where the roof attaches. Going to try to keep from having to drill any additional holes other than one for the wires. Then mount some outdoor speakers to the back rail. That's the plan I have in my head anyway.. I'll see how well it turns out.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Hey guys, when you install the radio, just make sure you dont ground to the frame. Yamis dont like frame grounds.
With my G16, I ran a 12 gauge wire from the neg battery up to the dash and put in a terminal block for all my grounds.
All the power you need is already up at the key switch. There is a constant power going in one side and switched power on the other side. I put a small fuse block up front for each.
Dont worry about the "memory" wire drawing down the battery unless it will be stored for an extended period of time.

I installed mine like this,

Craigtn (another member here) set me up with everything I needed and the idea.

I put the speakers in the rear access panel,

I just couldnt make myself cut the freshly painted body

It worked great

Dont forget to post some pics of your install when your done

My G16 pics,
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...d-cruiser.html
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

essness what did u use for the dash ? is it hard plastic...looks great, if i can find some ill do this to my g16
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

nitro, it is a hard plastic, Craigtn had a sheet of it and sent me a chunk I could work with. He buys it in sheets from somewhere??? I've been told that you can find it at home stores, Home Depot/Lowes......etc. But I've never looked for it.
The radio enclosure you can get from almost any marine store, I think even walmart sells them??

Good luck!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Scott you can use the brown wire off the key switch for memory to the radio and the switch will turn the radio off.

Nitro it is ABS plastic 1/4" or 3/16'' and cuts very easy with a wood blade in a jig saw.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
ScottHe
Not Yet Wild

essness that cart looks awsome! Craigtn, thanks for the info on using the brown wire. So it seems other than running a ground to the battery I just wire everything at the key?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On all the radios I have put in carts they have had lights so I used the hot and ground from there with no problems. I would run a ground and positive wire from battery and use the brown for the memory.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
tutiii
Not Yet Wild

How is the top of the plastic being held in?
i was messing around with a piece of press board that was laminated black over the weekend (it was from a bathroom vanity, hope my wife doesn't ever want to use it)
i cut the radio out, it is the shaping of the sides and how to keep it in place that i'm struggle with.

I have regular speakers, do you think i can install them in the access panel?

Mind you my cart is used for drag racing and should never see rain
thanks
tutiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, radio, stereo, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha