lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #21
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: The G1 saga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
Once you remove the wheel, the brake drum "should" slide right off over the wheel studs. Something is probably rusted up. Check the brake lever sticking out of the backing plate. Can you pull it back towards the rear of the cart? If not, maybe the cable is stuck, keeping the brakes applied. Disconnect the cable and try again. If the lever still will not move, the mechanism inside the drum is rusted and stuck. Try hitting on the lever with a hammer to move the lever and release the brakes. Once you get the lever back, the brake drum should turn. If you cannot get the drum off the hub, spray the area around the wheel studs with penetrating oil, and hit with a hammer between the studs. The drum should eventually pop loose.
I have tried everything you listed... I guess I will continue to whack the brake lever and see if I can get it loose. Honestly if the cost of getting both wheels rolling is to only have one wheel with brakes, thats fine by me, I just don't want to spend money for a new part.
stevensj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There should be a small hole on the rear brake drum, if you look into it you will see a small metal piece that looks like a star with another small piece of metal holding the arms of the star. On mine I had to loosen the "star" by pushing the piece of metal holding it and spinning the star piece. This loosens the shoes from the drum and then it should slide off.

It's tricky because the hole is not very big.
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #23
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_mike View Post
There should be a small hole on the rear brake drum, if you look into it you will see a small metal piece that looks like a star with another small piece of metal holding the arms of the star. On mine I had to loosen the "star" by pushing the piece of metal holding it and spinning the star piece. This loosens the shoes from the drum and then it should slide off.

It's tricky because the hole is not very big.
I will check that out when I get home, right now I am on a trip out of state. For now I am just brainstorming ideas for the thing once I get it running LOL. My main idea is replicating the body in aluminum Diamond-plate.... would look pretty cool
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well guys, today with the help of PB Blaster, a hammer, screw drivers (wedges), and a lot of time, I finally got the hub off. it spins freely now and the tranny is fine. The hub broke a couple of chunks off in the middle but those cost like 30 bucks so I'm not worried. I am gonna do some brake work and get it back together. I will have some pics up of the aftermath in a little while
Old 04-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

glad to hear it...and lookin forward to the pics
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #26
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (54.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (62.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wow that was stuck on there for sure.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Rusted on good. the brakes are intact. I took my time and was very careful but it broke anyway, oh well. anyone know where i could get a new drum?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #29
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

there are some guys in the for sale section parting out some G1's...that would be the cheapest place for sure
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #30
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll look into it. I might just steal one off my G14 projects I am working on, they arent moving anywhere anytime soon lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha