lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Corroded Cable - < 1Month Old

I recently upgraded my stock Precedent cables to 4G cables going from the (+)Batt-Sol-Contr-Motor-Contr-(-)Batt. It became pretty apparent right away that I was going to need to do a little replumbing of the sol-contr-motor cables. When I cut the existing lug off and cleared out some insulation to attach a new lug, the cable had already gotten some amount of green corrosion on it under the insulation. Is this a problem? If so, what is the cause that I should look for and how?

The two cables mentioned above where soldered to a common lug (as was the prior 6G cables). Because the lug was really big to accomodate, the cables were poking out very close to the battery and causing a fit issue for the cover, which is why I replumbed to each cable having its own lug each on opposite side of tab on the controller.

The other 3 were already replaced with the 4G cables that came with the cart. I had to build these cables using cables/lugs from Welding Supply (as suggested in another posting). I used the soldering technique that was shown in a video also posted elsewhere on this site.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Corroded Cable - < 1Month Old

what flux did you use?
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oatey - Liquid Soldering Flux
Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

via Oatey:
Quote:
RESTRICTIONS AND CAUTIONS:
Stir, if separation occurs. DO NOT USE ON ELECTRICAL PARTS. To prevent corrosion, wash off excess flux after soldering.

fluxes are inherently corrosive, even the "no clean" variants. when soldering cables, wicking of the fluxing agent is unavoidable. unless you can get under the jacket and in between the strands with sufficient solvent for removal, its there doing it's thing.
-sj
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. I was concerned I had done something wrong that would lead to failure of the cable. I assume from the note that this should be somewhat expected and not a long term concern. If I am not correct here please let me know.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbarne View Post
I assume from the note that this should be somewhat expected and not a long term concern.
corrosion doesn't get better with age. they will get progressively worse as time progresses.
-sj
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Understood.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Take off your cable and soak it in a bucket of water overnight. This will remove 99.9% of the " acid " flux. Dry the cable thoroughly (sitting in the sun for a few hours ) I have then sprayed my ends with silicone protectant. The " green " rarely comes back!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, corrosion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car