lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What to upgrade next...??

Now that I have taken care of the basics of getting the batteries equalized and stable, upgrading ALL cables to 4GA, sporty windshield and recovering the seats. What would I want to do next?

It will be used by the wife and me around the mountain, mostly hills and some level driving. We like to take a 4-5 mile (constant drive) around and look at the deer and such. The final test is getting back up my 100 foot steep driveway without having the wife get off and walk the last 10 feet...

My question to the general populous... What would be the best next step for an upgrade?

1. New battery pack (6-T-105's)
2. New Controller/Sol combo from ScottyB
3. Bigger tires/wheels (215/40/12)

I know I need torque over speed for the hills, the tires/wheels will give me more speed; yet the new batteries will help with amps/torque; so will the controller/sol combo...

Your thoughts?
yellow36vpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What to upgrade next...??

Some thoughts: A 4 or 500 amp controller will add speed and torque. They will help keep the torque you have if you lift the cart for bigger tires. Downside is they will eliminate regen braking. Some people like having it in hilly terrain. Alltrax and FSIP are good choices.

If you have to replace batteries anyway, converting to 48v should always be considered. More speed, more torque, more everything, runs cooler--awesome. If you are going to change speed controller and solenoid anyway, the only additional cost is a 48v charger and maybe a $5 resistor. Again, no regen braking.

Final thought: Why not contact Scottyb directly. I found him to be friendly and very knowledgeable. Be specific about what you have now and what the cart to do. Some money can be saved with non or limited programable controllers, dual voltage solenoids. Lots of options.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow36vpds View Post
Now that I have taken care of the basics of getting the batteries equalized and stable, upgrading ALL cables to 4GA, sporty windshield and recovering the seats. What would I want to do next?

It will be used by the wife and me around the mountain, mostly hills and some level driving. We like to take a 4-5 mile (constant drive) around and look at the deer and such. The final test is getting back up my 100 foot steep driveway without having the wife get off and walk the last 10 feet...

My question to the general populous... What would be the best next step for an upgrade?

1. New battery pack (6-T-105's)
2. New Controller/Sol combo from ScottyB
3. Bigger tires/wheels (215/40/12)

I know I need torque over speed for the hills, the tires/wheels will give me more speed; yet the new batteries will help with amps/torque; so will the controller/sol combo...

Your thoughts?
Probably the Controller/Solenoid, unless the batteries are on the verge of failure.

The numbers on the sidewall are approximate at best, but the tires listed figure out to be about 18.8" tall, so they are close to being speed/torque neutral (about 5% gain in speed and 5% loss in torque)

A DCX400 (or larger) would kick the speed up to about 24 MPH at 36V on stock height (18.0") tires, which would be about 25 MPH on the 18.8" tires mentioned, and would also up the low end torque up to about 1/3 with the stock PDS motor at 36V.

Supplying the volts and amps needed may be a challenge for the existing T-605 battery pack, but you'll see the gains when you install a healthy battery pack.

-----------
Sounds like your terrain is similar to mine, as is your cart, so a couple suggestions to keep in mind.

Get the Super-Duty solenoid (400A/1000A), which will work at 36V, 42V and 48V. (The DCX controllers also work over that voltage range.)
Then when you replace the batteries, you'll have the choice of going to 42V or 48V. Of course you will have to get the correct voltage charger also.

When I was running a DCX400 with a stock PDS motor at 42V, I was getting 28MPH and had all the torque I needed and then some, with a range over 30 miles. My batteries are 245AH instead of 225AH, but that difference would only knock 4 or 5 miles off the range, so it would still be in the mid 20's.

Upping the pack voltage ups both the speed and torque by the percentage of voltage increase. 36V to 42V is a 16.7% increase while 36V to 48V is a 33.3% increase.

For 42V, seven 6V batteries fit under the seat. (More range than a standard 36V pack)
For 48V, six 8V batteries fit under the seat. (About the same range as a standard 36V pack)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Some thoughts: A 4 or 500 amp controller will add speed and torque. They will help keep the torque you have if you lift the cart for bigger tires. Downside is they will eliminate regen braking. Some people like having it in hilly terrain. Alltrax and FSIP are good choices.

If you have to replace batteries anyway, converting to 48v should always be considered. More speed, more torque, more everything, runs cooler--awesome. If you are going to change speed controller and solenoid anyway, the only additional cost is a 48v charger and maybe a $5 resistor. Again, no regen braking.

Final thought: Why not contact Scottyb directly. I found him to be friendly and very knowledgeable. Be specific about what you have now and what the cart to do. Some money can be saved with non or limited programable controllers, dual voltage solenoids. Lots of options.
The Alltrax DCX family of controllers have regen braking that the user can select and adjust in the programming software, not sure about other after market controllers.

I recharge my batteries a bit going downhill or slowing down for a stop sign.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! The wife wants "bling" so she is leaning towards the wheels/tires. That buys us nothing for our use except more good looks (I need it, LOL)...

I am leaning toward the controller/solenoid upgrade. Yes, the Alltrax is programmable and I like what I am reading about them. That gives me more of what I need for these hills.

Everyone else, keep replying, I am all ears
yellow36vpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you get the bigger tires first prepare for the next fight when you know who has to get out and walk up the drive
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you get the bigger tires first prepare for the next fight when you know who has to get out and walk up the drive
and IF, no WHEN that happens.....then you got ammunition to REALLY get into modifications!!! LOL that sounds like a good plan!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO