lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
Skidog519
Not Yet Wild

Default What is large Cap on gas tank with pigtail off it

I recently purchased a 2018 EZGO Gas Freedom TXT Golf cart. I have attached a picture of the gas tank. The large black cap has a pigtail coming off of it you will notice it is disconnected. When it is connected and I turn the key off the engine keeps running, when I disconnect it the golf cart will still run wide open with no issues and when I turn the key off it shuts off like it should. I am pretty certain it is supposed to be connected and shut off when the key is off but something is causing the issue above, I am not sure what that pigtail is for or what it is supposed to do. Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gastank ezgoTRX Freedom.jpg (153.9 KB, 0 views)
Skidog519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: What is large Cap on gas tank with pigtail off it

I see the fuel pump in the background, so there shouldn't be an electric pump. Maybe that wire goes to a fuel level sensor? Doesn't explain the running issue though. Have you taken that cap off to see what it goes to?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:26 AM   #3
Skidog519
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. I have not taken the cap off yet. I also think it has to do with the fuel senor but how it is tied into the igntion with it not turning it off when it is plugged in is beyond me. The fuel guage on the dash doesn’t work whether it is I plugged together or not so maybe it is an electrical issue that is tied back to the ignition switch and the fuel gauge somehow.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

One of the ezgo experts will be along soon. Maybe one of them knows what's going on. You're right, it doesn't seem to makes sense but maybe there's a simple explanation. Do you have a manual for this cart?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #5
Skidog519
Not Yet Wild

I only have the owners manual, which doesnt show anything about what we are discussing.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not familiar with the newer Freedom carts. Does it idle, or just run on depressed pedal?
And by keeps running, do you mean, you turn the key off, press the pedal and it will start and run?
If so, my guess is the wire from the fuel sensor is improperly wired at the key switch and gauge, considering it doesn't work either way. Sounds like when you plug it in, you are back feeding source power to the solenoid through the key switch, basically bypassing the switch. Normally, you would only get power to the key from the pedal switch, then through the switch by turning the key. If you are getting 12v from another source, ie: the gauge wires, you are basically providing a jumper across the key terminals for the start/run circuit. Have you done any wiring under the dash or at the solenoid recently?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

From looking at the parts manual that cap is the fuel pump for an efi cart. Maybe someone swapped yours out to a carb model. I’m really surprised that a regular fuel pump can pull fuel from it unless it was modified also.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO