lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Lightbulb G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

I see some people say they use ATV or Motorcycle shocks on the front. But I cant find a solid recommendation. Anyone have ideas on what are appropriate substitutes for the expensive Yamaha ones? JG5-F3350-01 is the part number for the G2.

Thanks!!
eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 07-01-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

I do not recommend atv shocks, they have too much travel for a stock front suspension and will cause "bump steer". Some are too soft making the wheels travel too easily. The stock G9 front suspension is designed for about 3" of travel. I'd recommend stock shocks. You can get aftermarket stock replacements.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
F-ROD
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

has anyone tried Monroe air shocks? I have a G9 with a Jakes 6" lift and i want to replace my stock shocks too and I'm considering Monroe's
F-ROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

Any cheaper option than $160 per set?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40264608934...MAAOSwRGthJpmv

I heard monroe but dont know a part number.

Thanks,
Ed
eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

I've seen people use air shocks but it seems to me like it would just have too stiff of a ride. Air shocks designed for a 3000 lb car used on a 700 lb golf cart just doesn't sound logical to me. Not saying it can't be done.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I've seen people use air shocks but it seems to me like it would just have too stiff of a ride. Air shocks designed for a 3000 lb car used on a 700 lb golf cart just doesn't sound logical to me. Not saying it can't be done.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, It seems that that would not be the best route. Wonder if there is a spring only replacement like I did for the rear shocks. I think I ordered them from McMaster Carr. But don't know the fit for the front.

I'm also thinking of moving/welding the shock nubs to a different position to fix some camber issues.
eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph78 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yes, It seems that that would not be the best route. Wonder if there is a spring only replacement like I did for the rear shocks. I think I ordered them from McMaster Carr. But don't know the fit for the front.

I'm also thinking of moving/welding the shock nubs to a different position to fix some camber issues.
If the stock shocks are old, they are probably sagging and worn out, that will cause negative camber. If that's the case, a good set of aftermarket stock style shocks should be better. Then you can move the upper shock mount to tweak the height/camber.

Note: sometimes camber is affected by poorly set toe angle. Try setting the toe as close to zero as you can get. Use long straight edge on the side of the wheel to get a baseline, use chalk on the garage floor and map out the current settings.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,577
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

Polite correction here, probably based on terminology.

Shocks don’t sag, or cause alignment issues. Shocks don’t support the weight of anything. Shocks only purpose is to dampen the spring. They’re pressurized and designed to have a specific amount of damping. Some are stiffer that others (less bounce) and some are softer (more bounce but softer ride) but their purpose is the same.

Springs bounce. That’s what they’re designed to do. Springs support the weight of the vehicle and absorb the bumps and imperfections in the road.

Think if it like this. The last time you saw a rusty old jalopy hit a bump in the road, and then bounce and keep bouncing as it drove down the road for the next quarter mile is what a vehicle will do with worn out shocks. The shocks purpose in life is to dampen, or stop the “bounce” when springs do their thing. A car with good shocks will rebound or “bounce” once or twice and stop. The shock “absorbs” the extra “bounce” from the spring.

That said, why do you want to replace your shocks? Generally speaking, a golf cart is a pretty light machine and really the shocks themselves don’t do a whole lot. I’ve had carts with no shocks at all and you really wouldn’t ever know the difference. The amount of “pressure” in stock shocks is very very low compared to a car.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Default Re: G2 Front Shocks.. Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Polite correction here, probably based on terminology.

Shocks don’t sag, or cause alignment issues. Shocks don’t support the weight of anything. Shocks only purpose is to dampen the spring. They’re pressurized and designed to have a specific amount of damping. Some are stiffer that others (less bounce) and some are softer (more bounce but softer ride) but their purpose is the same.

Springs bounce. That’s what they’re designed to do. Springs support the weight of the vehicle and absorb the bumps and imperfections in the road.

Think if it like this. The last time you saw a rusty old jalopy hit a bump in the road, and then bounce and keep bouncing as it drove down the road for the next quarter mile is what a vehicle will do with worn out shocks. The shocks purpose in life is to dampen, or stop the “bounce” when springs do their thing. A car with good shocks will rebound or “bounce” once or twice and stop. The shock “absorbs” the extra “bounce” from the spring.

That said, why do you want to replace your shocks? Generally speaking, a golf cart is a pretty light machine and really the shocks themselves don’t do a whole lot. I’ve had carts with no shocks at all and you really wouldn’t ever know the difference. The amount of “pressure” in stock shocks is very very low compared to a car.
Thanks for all the advice, I have some good options now.

eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Coilover Shocks & Suspension Options for Lithium 1994 Club Car DS? Electric Club Car
Replacing Front Shocks w/o Front Cowl Removal Electric EZGO
Precedent Front Cowl Options? Gas Club Car
need a little more front lift...need options Gas EZGO
Cracked front panel, what are my options Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. © 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.