lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hydrolink install question (48V)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sorry we are not so useful the 500th time around. Hydrogen gas is a byproduct of bulk charging wet cell batteries. It collects in the easy fill tubes and ignites as only hydrogen gas can with the smallest of electrical sparks - I hope that is more useful
Thanks that helps and freaks me out. Hydrolink will be coming off.
vonjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonjet View Post
Thank You. I learned something. Hydro link is coming off. That was a waste of money! lol It was on my last set of batteries so I figured it was something useful.
Honestly they scare me, but that's what happens when you know how stuff works sometimes
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Honestly they scare me, but that's what happens when you know how stuff works sometimes
Well its good to know why. I never would have figured they could cause the damage that was posted here. I am new to golf carts. learning as I go. The only other person I know near me who has a golf cart I would not ask advice from.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #14
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok I will take this as a lesson learnt not to use a auto fill system on any electric cart(owned or customized to sale)

I don't want what happened in the second pic to happen to me ever.

Be safe fellas.
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #15
PipeMajor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

REALLY good to know! I will now remove the Hydrolink system from my Trojan battery purchase that I am about to make. Thanks.
PipeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #16
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, in all honesty, I am not a fan of the BFS or the Hydrolink systems, however........

On the RXV carts, if you are installing Trojan T1275 batteries, it is almost impossible to monitor and fill the rear battery in the cart due to the configuration of the battery.

When the cart was designed, they built it based on the T1260 battery and those were accessible for filling. US battery has recently released a new 12V that is also accessible without needing the fill system, but they are still a PITA to monitor/fill.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
On the RXV carts, if you are installing Trojan T1275 batteries, it is almost impossible to monitor and fill the rear battery in the cart due to the configuration of the battery.
Difficult, yes, but not almost impossible. It's just harder to do than the other three.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sorry we are not so useful the 500th time around. Hydrogen gas is a byproduct of bulk charging wet cell batteries. It collects in the easy fill tubes and ignites as only hydrogen gas can with the smallest of electrical sparks - I hope that is more useful
More correctly, both Hydrogen and Oxygen gases are produced when charging.

The Hydrogen collects on the battery's negative plates and the Oxygen collects on the positive plates, but after they bubble to the surface they form a gas mixture of 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen in the expansion space above the electrolyte level. (see attachement-1) This is an explosive mixture that only needs heat (IE: A spark) to set it off.

Normally, the explosive gas mixture is vented to the atmosphere via the vent caps and is diluted to a harmless concentration, but if the vent caps are connected to a watering system, the explosive gas mix fills the watering system tubing, which effectively becomes detcord (fast burning fuse) connecting the cells in the battery pack together, so several batteries will explode instead of just one.

Here are a couple more pictures of exploded battery packs.

No make or model of wet cell lead acid is immune to collecting an explosive gas mixture above the electrolyte and no make or model of watering system is immune to creating a chain-fire situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electrolyte Level.JPG (52.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-1.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-4.jpg (169.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Ok, in all honesty, I am not a fan of the BFS or the Hydrolink systems, however........

When the cart was designed, they built it based on the T1260 battery and those were accessible for filling. US battery has recently released a new 12V that is also accessible without needing the fill system, but they are still a PITA to monitor/fill.
in my opinion, the rxv fill system causes the back battery to spew acid, because its lowest battery in the system.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Maybe I could just mod the hydrolink and only install it on the back battery to make filling that one easier.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO