lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #21
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Why NOT Lithium instead of FLA?

I can't seem to get the link to open but I'd be interested in the chemistry.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #22
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I can't seem to get the link to open but I'd be interested in the chemistry.
Post # 12

It opens for me
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Post # 12

It opens for me
For some reason it wouldn't open for me earlier but does now. Just says Lithium Ion. So could be LiCoO2, LiFePO4, LiMn2O4 etc.. so who knows? LiCoO2 is what we run. Have to be careful with overcharge, over discharge and heat. The others are more forgiving but still need to be monitored. I wouldn't have any issue with any lithium battery in my regular cart but I'm used to them and I know what to do and not to do. I'm betting that the OP is well capable of managing them as well. Can any Joe Consumer do it? Maybe, but it is for certain that any Lithium pack is not going to be nearly as forgiving and a FLA pack if they are abused.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cells used in Leafs are lithium manganese oxide. I am using CALB cells, which are lithium iron phosphate. Lithium is the future because of weight, energy density, and safety. Practical electric cars are not possible with lead acid batteries, and golf carts are just slightly behind this curve. Ask yourself if you would even buy a power tool that was powered by any battery type other than lithium today? I know that I would not.

Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #25
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
For some reason it wouldn't open for me earlier but does now. Just says Lithium Ion. So could be LiCoO2, LiFePO4, LiMn2O4 etc.. so who knows? LiCoO2 is what we run.
I think they are this:

LITHIUM BATTERY MODULE LiMn2O4/LiNiO2
Each module contains two lithium cells - each 3.8V 58Ah, total 7.6V, 58Ah. 440Wh per module
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #26
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
I think they are this:

LITHIUM BATTERY MODULE LiMn2O4/LiNiO2
Each module contains two lithium cells - each 3.8V 58Ah, total 7.6V, 58Ah. 440Wh per module
Manganese and nickel are more forgiving than the cobalt but less capacity. Everything is a tradeoff. Cobalt is the optimum chemistry for drag racing because of it's energy density but the safer chemistries would be much more to my liking for a regular golf cart.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #27
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
All batteries must be handled with care. FLA batteries blow up frequently due to Hydrogen gas generation during charging. Some lithium formulations are more unstable than others and all of them require proper charging profiles. Almost every laptop and every cell phone has lithium batteries in it. Most power tools use Lithium technology now. Most electric cars are lithium. (not hybrids but electrics or plug-in hybrids) Most of the Tesla fires have been caused by running over something and having it puncture the battery pack. I consider them safe for golf cart use if handled properly.
The recent Tesla battery mishap was not caused by road hazard damage to the pack. The report that I read said the POP was a cell failure that triggered a cascading failure. This type of mishap can happen to many battery chemistries. It happening to a Tesla motorcar is what seems to make it more newsworthy.

I am not anti-Li at all, I just feel that they need to be used with the respect they deserve, like all batteries. The average John Q Public has no idea how to properly treat rechargable battery technologies, and when these Tesla motorcars make the news by going up in flames, that same John Q Public does not care why. They only get the idea that electric cars are potential fires just waiting to happen. Traditional fuel vehicles burn to the ground WAY more often, but they rarely make big news because it is so commonplace.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Tesla batteries have thousands of cells. Not a good design IMO. Too many failure points. They are designed to fuse cells that fail but I guess it doesn't always fail safe. Today's electric cars have very well designed battery management systems that make them user friendly. Golf carts are not there yet so I think that Lithium conversions are really only recommended for folks that have learned how to deal with them. I am very happy with my conversion but I would not recommend it to most of my golfing buddies.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
INWO
Getting Wild
Tomberlin

Safest chemistry seems to be LTO.
Also overcomes some other lithium problems.
Works in cold weather.
15-20 year life.
Charge to 80% in 10 minutes.
High discharge rate.
Tolerates running dead. I've seen dead cells sitting idle for 2 years come back from the dead with no ill effects.

http://www.altairnano.com/
INWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #30
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by INWO View Post
Safest chemistry seems to be LTO.
Also overcomes some other lithium problems.
Works in cold weather.
15-20 year life.
Charge to 80% in 10 minutes.
High discharge rate.
Tolerates running dead. I've seen dead cells sitting idle for 2 years come back from the dead with no ill effects.

http://www.altairnano.com/
Interesting. Do not want to try that with lithium cobalt.

Tags
48v, batteries, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO